Acer Nitro AN515-52 spiking frame drops in game

anickson96
anickson96 Member Posts: 12 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello I bought Acer Nitro AN515-52 in january and since the beginning I had frame drops, I asked a question here and I saw that coolboost wasnt enabled. I enabled it and I still had frame drops but rarer than before and it was playable. Im playing only Fortnite on it and since the new season in Fortnite I have frame drops much more often than ever before. I capped the fps to 144 because this is the refresh rate of my screen and the frames drop from 144 to 20-30 for 1 second every 30seconds. Sometimes the frame drop occur while I interact in game, like fighting with another player but the frames also drop for no reason even in the lobby. In NitroSense my CPU temperature goes to 95max and my GPU temperature to 85max. CPU usage shows 30% average and GPU usage: 15-20% average in NitroSense. When im playing i close every other opened window. I have updated my GPU driver and have set High performance and Nvidia graphic processor as default. I dont understand where is the problem. At least i wanna fix it so my fps drops occur as rare as before.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I have a cooling mat, its Thermaltake. The laptop heats a lot. I havent seen any difference when setting the fans to max but I will do that too, the coolboost was always enabled since they told me about it here. So you are saying that the problem is only in the temperature and its not hardware nor software problem? 

I cannot give you an absolute answer to that it is just my opinion. Set that fan to Max tho. There have been issues with factory pasting and you may have a pasting issue. Usually if all the things suggested have been done and the temp is still high a repaste is the next step

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    That is throttling back because of the temperature. Make sure Nitrosense fans are set to Max and Coolboost is on. I use a powered cooling mat which gives around a 5 to 10 degree temp drop. If not of this works you may want to consider repasting with a high quality thermal paste such as Grizzly Kryonaut

https://www.amazon.com/TeckNet-Cooling-Portable-Ultra-Slim-Notebook/dp/B014F4SBMK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=havit+cooling+pad&qid=1564676765&s=gateway&sr=8-8

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• anickson96
    I have a cooling mat, its Thermaltake. The laptop heats a lot. I havent seen any difference when setting the fans to max but I will do that too, the coolboost was always enabled since they told me about it here. So you are saying that the problem is only in the temperature and its not hardware nor software problem? 
  • andylb
    Answer ✓

I cannot give you an absolute answer to that it is just my opinion. Set that fan to Max tho. There have been issues with factory pasting and you may have a pasting issue. Usually if all the things suggested have been done and the temp is still high a repaste is the next step

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• anickson96
    Thank you. I will repaste and see how the things are.
  • andylb
    edited August 2019
    Thank you. I will repaste and see how the things are.
    @anickson96 Here is a good video on how to teardown and repaste a Nitro5. I recommend using Grizzly Kryonaut
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfoUkIazNA&t=282s

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Hudza12
    Hudza12 Member Posts: 81 Fixer WiFi Icon
    @andylb do you know where I can get the thermal paste at amazon ?
  • psyellurkar
    psyellurkar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Ok..So eventually. I ran into same kind of problem with my acer nitro 5 an515-52 which has Intel core i7 8750H processor with NVIDIA GTX 1050ti 4 GB of graphics card and 8 GB of ram, and 128 GB of SSD.

So I ran some bench-marking and, I found out the problem. once my laptop was put onto the high performance mode all the 6 cores ran at 3.6 GHz but if you look at the nitro sense the temperature i got was literally 99 degrees Celsius while gaming (QUANTUM BREAK). But when i ran a stress test on aidia64 extreme the results were normal. so only while gaming basically, I got 20% of thermal throttling. Now to deal with this is kinda-off problem is simple.

First:- Always set your laptop on balanced mode even while gaming, then turn off your turbo boost from Intel, but only for balanced mode. Now I got max. temp. of 82 by doing this with no frame rate loss, note that CPU will run on 2.10 GHz at this setting but will not affect on any game like dropping frames.

Second:- If in any condition you are needed to go the high performance mode then always set the fan speed to max from nitro sense for high performance you could get CPU temps. at around 92 but that's fine cause there is no thermal throttling at that time.

Also if laptop is not in warranty you could change the thermal paste, that makes a lot difference. If not then consider buying an 180 to 210 mm cooler master laptop cooling pad. And finally this problem is not just with acer HP omen series laptop that include this processor also have same heat issues and, it can be concluded that even if you get high temp. the laptop and CPU are manufactured to sustain that.