Mx150 consuming too much power? Battery not charging aspire 5 a515-51g-58gi

ajay14
ajay14 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, My acer aspire 5 a515-51g-58gi when plugged in and gaming(while running on nvidia mx150 dedicated graphics) stops charging and indicator LED starts blinking and After a few minutes of gaming around 20 mins or so the battery eventually runs out. I have tried several fixes even brought a new adapter but problem continuous. It only occurs when i run games on dedicated mx150 and not while running games off Integrated graphics.
Here are the things i tried,
i. New adapter
ii. battery diagnose found battery is healthy.
iii. tried resetting battery and battery driver from dev manager.
is there any fixes?
Thanks i advance

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    This is normal for heavy gaming loads. This is why you should only start gaming with a fully charged battery for maximum gaming times. Do you have the smaller 45watt (2.4amp) or larger 65watt (3.4amp) charger? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14
    JackE said:
    This is normal for heavy gaming loads. This is why you should only start gaming with a fully charged battery for maximum gaming times. Do you have the smaller 45watt (2.4amp) or larger 65watt (3.4amp) charger? Jack E/NJ
    i have the 65w charger with 3.42 amp o/p and i do play on a fully charged battery. After the problem starts the battery is not charged and discharges completely in about half an hour.
  • JackE
    Try setting ControlPanel power plan set to Balanced mode to see if gaming is acceptable at decreased power. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14
    it does not help, but thanks anyway

• JackE
    Then see what happens in PowerSaver mode. That should definitely make a difference in power consumption at least if not good for game playing. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14
    it doesnt help either. I think all off asudden my mx150 is drawing out more power due to some hardware of software issue. I tried all the software fixes like driver updates and tried older versions etc. But it doesnt seem to help. Maybe i need to visit a service centre
  • JackE
    Hold on. Try this. Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14
    yeah i did the battery diag, 91 % healthy
  • ajay14
    one more thing left to do is, tring to run laptop from a 90watt ie 19v 4.72 amp charger, is using this safe for the laptop?

• JackE
    >>>yeah i did the battery diag, 91 % healthy>>>

That doesn't sound like battery-report.html output.  Should list several actual charge cycles/history vs what it should be. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14
    update- today i opened up the laptop to check if there was any physical damage visible, i could not find any. I just disconnected the pins connecting charger port to the board and reconnected it back in. Now I've been gaming for about an hour and the problem seems to be gone. for now at least.
  • JackE
    What is power plan setting?  PowerSaver? Balanced? Or Performance? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I wonder if the connection was loose enough to cause arcing while running... That could suck battery pretty intensely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Good point. That's another reason to look at the battery report history. Maybe give some clues on what was happening. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14

Battery Health report

• ajay14

Full report attached as txt file
  • JackE
    If you had the charger plugged-in most of the time and you've been using it as you normally do, it does seem like it got much better the past few days. Perhaps the connectors simply needed to be re-seated a few times to clean the contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ajay14
    Yes it might have been the case after all. I'm glad that i wont have to visit a service center. thanks for the support team.
  • JackE
    Thanks. Good luck with it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dcunlocks
    dcunlocks Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Ajay , I am facing same problem , how to resolve it.