Spin 5 poor performance after few minutes of usage

johnnyromani
johnnyromani Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
First of all, sorry about my english, it is not my native language so I may spell something wrong. I need some clue here. My Acer Spin 5 boot very fast and works flawlessly, but then after a few minutes it became to perform very bad, especially in browser navigation. Scrolling pages with keyboard starts to get frustrating because it starts to lag, internet gets very slow and performance decrease generally. This is my wife's laptop and she uses most on internet navigation and to watch online video courses and now it is almost impossible to use it.
When I boot in Safe Mode, there is no problem, but since I can't connect to wifi (and there is no LAN port) I can't really test for sure, but I tried open lots of softwares to get sort of a stress test on safe mode and all went very well, working fast, so I don't think there is a problem with SSD (but correct me if I'm wrong).
Then I formatted it all from scratch, put the last windows 10 updates, didn't installed any 3rd software and tried to navigate in Microsoft Edge and after some minutes, the same problem again, with fresh formatted windows 10. Checked all drivers, all updated. Tried a clean boot (not safe mode) and same problem.
Now I'm trying to install Windows 7 but I don't think would work on GPT, after installed Win7 it shows \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD 0x000000d error.
Anyway, regarding Windows 7 I can find a workaround but I really want it to work with Windows 10.
Any ideas about what could be the problem? Some driver issue? Some Windows 10 configuration? Model of laptop is: SP513-52N 
Would really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    (1) Did you also delete the hidden ACER recovery partition when you formatted the C drive?
    (2) Did you uninstall, not just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus scanners?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johnnyromani
    JackE said:
    (1) Did you also delete the hidden ACER recovery partition when you formatted the C drive?
    (2) Did you uninstall, not just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus scanners?

Jack E/NJ
    Thanks for reply JackE. Yes I did wipe all the SSD. I did not have any AV scanners, it was fresh windows install.
    I formatted again and put an old Windows 10 version (not remember which one now, I'm away from laptop) and it seems working well. I'll do some tests through the week and then I'll post again here.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    @johnnyromani  I undervolted mine and i got great results :) that 8th gen heats up a lot (i have the 8550U) and starts to throttle a bit so i recommend you to optimize windows and undervolted it i managed to get 7:45h in battery life (all this with FF open with 15 tabs and listening to my own online radio via the whmsonic flash player on my website all night) but anyone should be able o get 5h+ after undervolt it and on battery saver mode and i havent even optimized windows yet so there are still much more tweaks to do and this little machine its already performing great just with a simple undervolt

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• johnnyromani
    xapim said:
    @johnnyromani  I undervolted mine and i got great results :) that 8th gen heats up a lot (i have the 8550U) and starts to throttle a bit so i recommend you to optimize windows and undervolted it i managed to get 7:45h in battery life (all this with FF open with 15 tabs and listening to my own online radio via the whmsonic flash player on my website all night) but anyone should be able o get 5h+ after undervolt it and on battery saver mode and i havent even optimized windows yet so there are still much more tweaks to do and this little machine its already performing great just with a simple undervolt
    Never thought about undervolting it.. I will give it a try, mine is the same 8550U. Thanks for the tip!