Updating Helios 500 (AMD) Graphics Driver

Khelgar
Khelgar Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
So do i update the Vega56 graphics drivers directly from AMD or Acer? If it's the latter, does it mean we are stuck with older drivers?

Also i sincerely hope Acer updates this beast someday so it supports the newer Ryzen processors in that nasty socket as a true desktop replacer.

Answers

• Du_little
    Du_little Member Posts: 301 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @Khelgar,
    Try to do the windows update and the unit ,it will update all the drivers automatically which is available. Check for updates and then install them. 

Image result for windows update
    Hit Accept if its useful :) 

• Khelgar
    So the automatic windows update is the most reliable way? Should we never get the latest drivers directly from AMD for laptops? I've also heard that people disable automatic windows updates and install them manually. Someone in a similar thread also claims that "Graphic driver from AMD's website will disable FreeSync". ( https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/556922/amd-vega-56-amd-driver-or-acer )

I haven't used a laptop in a long time, coincidentally the last one was another ancient Acer laptop with a Radeon X1300 in it so i'm a bit out of touch and confused here.

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    Khelgar said:
    So the automatic windows update is the most reliable way? Should we never get the latest drivers directly from AMD for laptops? I've also heard that people disable automatic windows updates and install them manually. Someone in a similar thread also claims that "Graphic driver from AMD's website will disable FreeSync". ( https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/556922/amd-vega-56-amd-driver-or-acer )

I haven't used a laptop in a long time, coincidentally the last one was another ancient Acer laptop with a Radeon X1300 in it so i'm a bit out of touch and confused here.

Khelgar As far as i know the stock drivers are personalized to work with you hardware to get the best performance the amd drivers i read that some features might nor work properly if you update them ( but this was about the ryzen master) the gpu drivers should still work fine but just curious any reason why you need to update them like issues with games not being supported because if not just leave them as they are if youre not having any issues :) regarding windows update for drivers i dont trust it never did never will because it screws more that what it fixes most issues arise after windows updated i always disable it completely on regedit and update everything myself manually when i need to but everyone is free to use it 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    If you want to update properly, do this: First create a restore point at this instant and name it so that you can tell what you did after creating the restore point. Next, go to device manager, select your graphics card and right-click on it and choose Update. In the next screen, select "Search for drivers automatically" and if it finds something, let it download and finish installing. The one that gets installed is an OEM customised driver (from Acer but they don't post it in support page for unknown reason). Use it and if you find any problem, just restore using that restore point. I installed Intel's DCH Graphics driver this way. That restore point, when created manually, works nearly 100%.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • bobzdar
    bobzdar Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I use the oem amd drivers without issue, however it tries to update via windows update to an older driver, so I have to manually disable that specific update.  It's basically a desktop part with power and frequency reduced via firmware, so desktop drivers work fine. 
  • XdxD
    bobzdar said:
    I use the oem amd drivers without issue, however it tries to update via windows update to an older driver, so I have to manually disable that specific update.  It's basically a desktop part with power and frequency reduced via firmware, so desktop drivers work fine. 
    Windows Update updates drivers in the wrong ways. That's why I keep it meterred or hide the driver update and do it through Device Manager which always gives newer one to me.
  • NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    It's a desktop GPU, use the desktop drivers found on AMD's website. Never had issues with Windows Update trying to override it either, even if a new update is knocking on the door in the Crimson Control Panel. 

Don't use Auto detect, don't use Windows update, don't use Acer's drivers. Go to AMD's website, drivers and downloads, and use the Vega 56 driver for your version of Windows (which most will be Windows 10 64-bit). Don't need to, but I usually install the Beta driver and haven't had issues in the year I've had this machine. 
  • fliplin
    fliplin Member Posts: 1 New User
    ... and after all have a huge problems with waking up after hibernation/sleep and gaming (i.e. you can't play Subnautica on RX Vega 56 with 17.12 driver) . I think ACER will be go far with their update policy. Notebook costs $2000 and have no updates for two years (last official version of AMD driver by Acer is 17.12.) If yo're think about buy Predator in 2020 - buy another brand, not an Acer.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @fliplin Go here and download the AMD 2020 Control Center, AMD now have one control center with the correct drivers for all Desktop and Mobile products
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-3
    If it doesn't install correctly you will have to run DDU in safe mode for a clean uninstall then try again
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dcmod
    dcmod Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Does this latest AMD 2020 Adrenaline drivers solve the wake from sleep with a static screen 
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    dcmod said:
    Does this latest AMD 2020 Adrenaline drivers solve the wake from sleep with a static screen 

I can't answer that with certainty but I think so. What I can say with certainty is that if you are not updated to the 2020 Adrenalyn Control Center then you are running on old drivers with a control center that is outdated and lacks up to date functionality and isn't optimised for the best selling demanding games

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• dcmod

Tinkerer

edited January 2020
    Well have you tested the wake to sleep bug ?  Try resuming from sleep and see if your main screen is OK and not displaying static noise . Otherwise even though its pretty obvious every one wants the new driver to gain more gpu performance but this bug is a no go for me 
  • XdxD
    dcmod said:
    Well have you tested the wake to sleep bug ?  Try resuming from sleep and see if your main screen is OK and not displaying static noise . Otherwise even though its pretty obvious every one wants the new driver to gain more gpu performance but this bug is a no go for me 
    Can you post a video? Hate to see the AMD variant having such issues.
  • NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2020
    I was in the process of making a video on what happens when you put the computer to sleep, then wake it back up. But as of the drivers I have installed, Adrenaline 20.1.4, it goes to sleep and wakes from sleep normally again. I did have the issue everyone else was having, with it not resuming and locking up with an external display, or showing a grey static on the onboard display. 

So install the latest drivers on AMD's website, be sure to use desktop Vega 56 drivers, and it should be fixed.

Now if only Acer can fix the miscolored keyboard backlighting issue...
  • dcmod

Tinkerer

Thank you ,, so in short the AMD Adrenaline 2020 ver 20.1.4 resolved the wake from sleep with static bug and FreeSync issues not displaying 144 Hz ...
  • andylb
    edited January 2020
    dcmod said:

I have never had that issue, I run the AMD 2020 Adrenalin Control Center v 20.1.4, I suggest you do the same
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-4

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• andylb
    NiteNinja said:
    I was in the process of making a video on what happens when you put the computer to sleep, then wake it back up. But as of the drivers I have installed, Adrenaline 20.1.4, it goes to sleep and wakes from sleep normally again. I did have the issue everyone else was having, with it not resuming and locking up with an external display, or showing a grey static on the onboard display. 

So install the latest drivers on AMD's website, be sure to use desktop Vega 56 drivers, and it should be fixed.

Now if only Acer can fix the miscolored keyboard backlighting issue...

If you install from here the installation package automatically detects your hardware and installs the correct drivers
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-1-4

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Khelgar
    Well i'm still on 19.5.2 and haven't seen any serious issues aside from being unable to sleep. But hibernate works fine. So i'm not sure if i should take the risk and update it anymore.
  • XdxD
    Khelgar said:
    Well i'm still on 19.5.2 and haven't seen any serious issues aside from being unable to sleep. But hibernate works fine. So i'm not sure if i should take the risk and update it anymore.
    Create an image with Macrium Reflect. Also create a system restore point. Then install the latest one and check.
  • andylb
    Khelgar said:

In the end it's your choice my friend

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★