Need info for upgrades(AX1430G-UW30P)

matthew_zenn
matthew_zenn Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
so I have this aspire pc I got from my school. It needs a few upgrades to be ready for gaming. The attached photo will help with the explanation. The power supply is only 220w but it has a cable for a graphics card to go on the pcie slot. What low profile graphics card would be recommended. Second the APU. It’s attached with these spring loaded plastic bolts. Which means it’s not in a proper socket and just being held down by the heat sink. Is it upgradable or is it a custom fit and how would I go about replacing it. It’s a dual core and I’m hoping it can be upgraded to at least a quad core CPU.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    We're going to need to know the model number of your computer. They've made lots of low profile desktops over the years. You are probably close to maxing out the Power, so you'll need one of the older GPUs that doesn't pull as much as the new ones do. We can look up which cards were tested with once we know the model.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • matthew_zenn
    matthew_zenn Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    AX1430G-UW30P
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    OK, it looks like over the model life they used a bunch of different video cards. GT530, GT520, GT405, HD6450 and HD6570 at the least. They came with 512MB to 2GB memory and all models used the same 220W PSU. It's a standard form factor, but not ATX (DTX maybe?). It's really easy to find replacement 220W supplies but much tougher to find larger ones. I believe also that the BIOS and chipset on those models limits the GPU memory size to 4GB. So, do your research looking for low profile, low power cards that have 4GB or less on them. Read their specs and make sure they'll work in the 220W machine or find a larger supply in the same form factor.
    You likely have the AMD Bobcat E350 CPU. It may be soldered in rather that sitting in a socket. One of the features AMD designed into these processors was the cost savings associated with a soldered in CPU rather than socketed. If so there's no upgrade path at all, but even if it's socketed there's no upgrade path to quad core because this model line didn't have any four core processors.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it really doesn't look like converting this into a gaming rig is going to be easy, and may not be possible at all. :(
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • XxDammitDudexX
    XxDammitDudexX Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same model, you think it would work with say, a gt 710?