How do you utilize the 144Hz display on the Nitro 5 (AN515-54-54WR)?

Options
Kiblaze
Kiblaze Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I recently got this laptop and read that it has a 144Hz display. However I have no idea how to utilize it... I can only get 60Hz. I did turn on LCD overdrive and it says to keep the refresh rate at 144hz.
Has anyone been able to actually use 144Hz on the built-in display or is this only for external displays? I appreciate any help I can get regarding this, thank you.

Answers

• Kiblaze

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry I wrote the wrong model number, should be AN515-54-54W2, not WR
  • PhilK
    PhilK Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I had the same problem with my new AN515-54.
    For me, the 144Hz was one of the reasons to buy this model. But, after two days of seaching the internet I know now that the built in Display has only 60Hz. When you have a close look, you will see that just a small number of versions (like 52) are equipped with the 144Hz display.
    And I don't find a better display which fits in the 54-series. Because it is built slightly different as the other Nitros (51/52/53).
    I would apreciate to be wrong.
    So if somone finds an alternative display please answer.

• Kiblaze

Tinkerer

Options
    PhilK said:
    For me, the 144Hz was one of the reasons to buy this model. But, after two days of seaching the internet I know now that the built in Display has only 60Hz. When you have a close look, you will see that just a small number of versions (like 52) are equipped with the 144Hz display.
    And I don't find a better display which fits in the 54-series. Because it is built slightly different as the other Nitros (51/52/53).

I saw a few reviews that said this model (AN515-54-54W2) and the AN515-54-51M5 both have 144hz displays. Or is it just luck to actually get one with a 144Hz display? It's the new models that came out I think in May 2019? Thank you for the reply, seems like it's never clearly defined what  displays are on the Nitros lately.
  • PhilK

Tinkerer

Options
    I read these reviews, too. I think they just copied the display specs from other reviews.
    If you have a look to the store.acer website you will see that it is not mentioned that the AN515-54-54W2 and AN515-54-51M5 have a 144Hz display.
    If a model has a 144Hz display it is mentioned seperately as you can see when you look at the Predator Helios 300 Gaming-Notebook PH315-52 and others.
  • PhilK

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    In one of the reviews it is said that the display model is: BOE NV156FHM-N4K this one has 144Hz and a 40 pin socket. My model has a B156HAN02.1 built in. This one has 60Hz and a 30 pin socket. So I can't even change between these displays. Did not yet manage to find a display with 144Hz and 30 pins which fits in my AN515-54-75WD.
    Hopefully you will be more lucky. If so please post it here.

• Kiblaze

Tinkerer

Options
    PhilK said:
    I read these reviews, too. I think they just copied the display specs from other reviews.
    If you have a look to the store.acer website you will see that it is not mentioned that the AN515-54-54W2 and AN515-54-51M5 have a 144Hz display.
    If a model has a 144Hz display it is mentioned seperately as you can see when you look at the Predator Helios 300 Gaming-Notebook PH315-52 and others.
    I think that’s the issue, on the page for the Nitro 5 line it advertises 144hz: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/series/nitro5
    however none of the models listed when you click “view all models” show 144hz on the specs pages. So I find it weird that they advertise it, but none of the models currently available for purchase through the Acer store lists 144hz for any of them. Which could be why many people are wondering how to utilize the 144hz. And it seems like all the models have the LCD Overdrive option....but does it do anything at all if the screen is 60hz max and not 144hz? I do appreciate your answers in this thread though. I’ll definitely post back if I get any luck with regarding the screens you mentioned in your other comment.
  • PhilK

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Kibalize,
    I am not a native speaker, so hopefully my answers to acer and you aren't too rude.
    I think that is how they got me, too. The specs of the display were a main reson to buy it. But it is still my fault to buy the wrong version. Just thought all of them have a 144 Hz display including the specs (gamut) of the reviewed displays. I don't know why Acer created these two diffeent versions. Let's hope it isn't because they want to fool people like you and me.

• PhilK

Tinkerer

Options
    To answer your question: since your screen isn't able to display more than 60Hz it should be effectless. But an external device or an exchanged display would probably take advantage out of it.
    And there is a second fact you should consider. Your system runs with a GTX 1050, it will perhaps have problems running 144Hz - 1920x1080.

I learned this whole stuff in the past two days. Following your and my problem.
    So please be aware that I am NOT an expert!
  • Kiblaze

Tinkerer

Options
    PhilK said:
    To answer your question: since your screen isn't able to display more than 60Hz it should be effectless. But an external device or an exchanged display would probably take advantage out of it.
    And there is a second fact you should consider. Your system runs with a GTX 1050, it will perhaps have problems running 144Hz - 1920x1080.

You weren't rude in your comments, so you're good.  :)

I did think about the GPU being a possible issue. I just got the laptop this week as a gift, so I'm still within the return period... however if both models don't have 144Hz, then I wasn't sure if I should try to pay the difference on the other model (which I believe has a GTX 1650 instead?). The laptop I got is great, I was told if I wanted to get the other model I could... but it's starting to seem like if everything else is fine otherwise that I don't think I want to go through with that. Either way you were helpful and it led me to do more digging into the Nitro 5 situation. Thank you.
  • galf0n
    galf0n Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Kiblaze said:
    PhilK said:

You weren't rude in your comments, so you're good.  :)

I did think about the GPU being a possible issue. I just got the laptop this week as a gift, so I'm still within the return period... however if both models don't have 144Hz, then I wasn't sure if I should try to pay the difference on the other model (which I believe has a GTX 1650 instead?). The laptop I got is great, I was told if I wanted to get the other model I could... but it's starting to seem like if everything else is fine otherwise that I don't think I want to go through with that. Either way you were helpful and it led me to do more digging into the Nitro 5 situation. Thank you.
    Dont even bother with the GTX  1650, I got the 54 54F with GTX1650 and guess what-60hz. And the advertised 144hz was the main reason to buy it. I tryied to contact acer twice about this issue but till now - no answer. They proved themselves as total complete... and deserve to have their company shut down because of the false advertising
  • LiftedCorn
    LiftedCorn Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Kiblaze said:
    PhilK said:

I saw a few reviews that said this model (AN515-54-54W2) and the AN515-54-51M5 both have 144hz displays. Or is it just luck to actually get one with a 144Hz display? It's the new models that came out I think in May 2019? Thank you for the reply, seems like it's never clearly defined what  displays are on the Nitros lately.
    I've purchased Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 51MB/504H and I too bought it for 144 HZ screen. and I can confirm that I got 144 Hz screen. It's super fluid.
  • NEONISAGOD
    NEONISAGOD Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Kiblaze said:
    I recently got this laptop and read that it has a 144Hz display. However I have no idea how to utilize it... I can only get 60Hz. I did turn on LCD overdrive and it says to keep the refresh rate at 144hz.
    Has anyone been able to actually use 144Hz on the built-in display or is this only for external displays? I appreciate any help I can get regarding this, thank you.

just download an app named cru and open it then click the first resolution in the standerd resolutions click edit in the bottem not the upper one now there would be a button named copy click it its on the right up now click close and select add in the bottem left click paste on the right up and now down there would be the refresh rate change it to 144 now restart your laptop and go in display settings advanced settings now there would be refresh rate click it and now select 144hz the link to download cru is here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU