Where the heck is the hard drive? Swift SF315-52

Options
jaliisah
jaliisah Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought a Swift SF315-52. I immediately upgraded the memory and planned to swap the SSD drive from my Spin to the new Swift but so help me I can't find the hard drive in the Swift. Of course I  promptly went to YouTube to look for a video but none of them have the same configuration as this one. Can anyone help with this? I feel like an *****.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,052 Trailblazer
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not a memory module but M.2 2280 SSD (22x80 mm). It looks like this:

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    Could you give me the first ten characters of the Swift serial number (S/N)?
    France
  • jaliisah

Tinkerer

Options
    You bet!  NXGZBAA0018
  • laurent_14
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hello,
    Thanks. The SSD should be located near the left speaker:

France
  • jaliisah

Tinkerer

Options
    That looks like the natural place for it, but I have a blank space there with two little foam pads.

• laurent_14
    Options
    You are talking about the HDD housing and not the SSD?
    France
  • jaliisah

Tinkerer

Options
    Here is what we look like with the battery pulled.

• laurent_14
    Options
    I understood. You want to install an 2.5" SSD but there is no HDD cable, bracket and screws in your Swift?
    France
  • jaliisah

Tinkerer

Options
    There must be something somewhere, I have 250 GB of hard drive space but I sure can't find it.
  • laurent_14
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yes you already have an SSD of 256GB in the metal foil:
    France
  • jaliisah

Tinkerer

Options
    All I found under the metallic paper is the memory, but I do have 250 GB somewhere.
  • laurent_14
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    It's not a memory module but M.2 2280 SSD (22x80 mm). It looks like this:

France
  • jaliisah

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    Here it is as stripped down as I can get it without tampering with boards. Have to admit, I will do it, but would really rather not. I really need to put my 1TB drive with all my software in it to be able to use this machine.

• CARLTONBP
    CARLTONBP Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    The black space is where your hard drive goes but you need some parts - read this thread though it is for the swift but it should explain. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555979/i-want-to-install-a-second-hard-drive-in-my-acer-swift-315-52-i-need-ffc-cable-and-hdd-bracket
    The hard drive may need to be 7mm deep not 9.5mm. This caught me out, in my swift I couldn't just plug in my old drive. And my swift looks just like yours inside. Everything in the same place iirc.

The narrow strip of silver foil next to the black space is your current hard drive hence your space. It's an SSD.

• jaliisah

Tinkerer

Options
    Wow! I appreciate all this help. I took out the gum stick sized silver thing, unwrapped it and discovered that it is indeed the hard drive. A little reading and I discovered that it is an M.2 2280 form factor drive. I ordered a WD 1 TB one on Amazon for $115 and an M.2 to USB adapter for just under $20 so I can clone my existing drive onto it. I have one more Swift question, not so difficult, which separately. Thank you all so very much, this is a terrific forum.