Predator PH315-52-78VL Can't add a 2nd NVME drive (1TB Adata XPG) - Windows 10 won't boot

Options
124»

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    That was the best answer I ever checked about the RAID array @xapim.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi @Matt86
    Thanks for posting the solution, much appreciated  :)
  • droobus
    droobus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi - just as a counterpoint to the tales of woe some of you have been having - I can confirm that I have just installed a WD_Black SN750 500GB on a PH315-52 (RTX2060 variant) without swapping the boot drive or upgrading past 1.02 BIOS, so there is hope out there! It was there in disk partition when I started the lappy and, once formatted, works perfectly as drive E:. The most 4rse-clenching bit was nearly threading the left hand screw, but that was me stupidly using a slightly too large screwdriver. Found a decent set of precisions and it finally came out. Installing Original Sin 2, Warhammer 2 and Civ 6 as I type.:)

• pantegrv
    pantegrv Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I can confirm that swapping the original SSD location and upgrading BIOS works for the PH315-52-78VL (1660 Ti version) and the WD_Black SN750 1TB. In detail, the process I followed was:

1. Update BIOS to v 1.11 from here https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support
    2. Disable secure boot from BIOS as @Matt86 mentions above
    3. Swap the location of the original SSD to the HDD0 position and boot to make sure everything works (rebooted on its own 2-3 times on the first boot, then all ok)
    4. Install the new SSD in HDD1 position and boot. It did not reboot on its own and the disk was there
    5. Partition and format new SSD
    6. Restore BIOS settings to default

Note that steps 2 and 6 might not be needed.

And everything works like a charm! I also found very useful this video for the visual ppl out there, which sums up everything you need to do:

• Epilef
    Epilef Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello guys,
    I have a ph315-52 and I recently got a 1TB nvme ssd and began having problems trying to install it. Can't believe this is still a problem, it's been over a year now.

If anyone has a solution please help me.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Epilef Ideally, you should create a new topic. Now, can you check if the ssd appears on the INFORMATION tab of the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ChodaBoy
    ChodaBoy Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I bought myself a Samsung 970 EVO Plus for an early Christmas present. I tried installing it without changing the BIOS and the laptop would not boot, even after swapping the drive locations. I swapped things back to the way it originally was, and the laptop still would not boot. (I was starting to sweat.) I followed the post from Matt86 and I was able to boot and clone the original drive and replace it with the new one. Thank you, Matt86!

• smgeek1210
    smgeek1210 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    skelman said:
    Hey all,

I have the Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-52-78VL, which has a 256GB NVME m.2 SSD already. I bought a ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive and installed it into the additional m.2 slot, but now Windows 10 will not boot. I get stuck at the loading dots screen and Windows 10 never loads, powering down and trying this over and over it won't even boot/enter into Recovery mode. It just takes forever and gets nowhere. When trying to enter recovery mode I eventually get a Blue screen (BSOD) that says DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG.  I've re-seated it into the motherboard, added the "heat sink" as well in case there was some kind of short going on (I don't know). I've also used a Windows 10 installation DVD and booted from the DVD drive, but it doesn't get anywhere if that 2nd NVME drive is installed.

When I remove the drive, Windows 10 boots up in less than 5 seconds and has zero problems. I can also get into Recovery mode when it isn't hooked up. Since I was able to get into Windows 10 again I made sure to update the BIOS to v1.04 and tried to install the NVME drive again with no luck.

If I go into the Bios (F2) when it's hooked up, I see the hard drive is recognized there, but I still can't get Windows 10 to load. Has anyone run into this?

I just really doubt my NVME drive is garbage, it has a 5 year warranty, but that's my only thoughts now. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Did you get any solution for this?
  • Italo_Hanzer
    Italo_Hanzer Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    Good afternoon, I saw that they haven't commented here for a long time, but it just happened to me and I'm trying to see how to solve it before I have to call for assistance.
    I bought it about 2 months ago, PH315-52-79VM.
    RTX2060 + SSD256 + HD1TB.

It works as my server. Just yesterday I added 64GB of memory, all ok .. test during the day yesterday, I turned off I turned on .. the VM's running everything ok.
    Today NVMe arrived, for him and for my desktop.
    ADATA Falcon AFALCON-2T-C 2TB. (Interestingly it is the same brand as yours)

I shut down the notebook, removed the battery and put it in place ..
    I closed it, screwed it and went to turn on the note.
    When turning on the keyboard, the lights flashed, like passing like a wave, from left to right, and it didn’t turn on right away, it was like a pause, it was bootable, but it didn’t load Windows, it gave a blue screen. had reset, I went there and apparently reset it, because the Safe boot options and so on came back.
    Before I had left it in AHCI, and I also saw that F12 to open the Boot Menu was disabled, when I left it disabled.
    But my SETP password was kept.

Okay, SSD was there normally, I went back to AHCI to see if Windows would boot, instead of giving a blue screen (with the error that I couldn't find the boot device).
    After that blue screen I also noticed that the main boot was like Windows Manager, and I don't remember leaving that.

After going back to AHCI and etc ... I gave F10 and left it to start .. it just passed the logo screen with sound and did not start Windows, gave control alt del to enter SETUP again and disabled the logo and sound, restarted , the screen can be seen to call, from the keyboard too, but nothing came on the screen ,. moved the mouse, gave F2 and and tc .. then plugged the HDMI but nothing on the monitor.

I hung up holding the Power.
    Ready! Don't care anymore! And this time it doesn't turn on, it's not a boot, it's really turning on.
    Don't worry ... I removed the battery connector and left only the plug, left only the battery, left the two and nothing.
    It just doesn't start.

I thought it was a sensor, so I put the M.2 back on and closed the notebook but nothing.
    I thought it was strange, as soon as I removed the cover of the M.2 to install it had the number 1 there ... I did not understand how SLOT1 could be, and they would have put the original m.2 in slot 2 ... but I kept it quiet and installed it. .
    Ready .. can someone help me?
    Did you manage to solve your problem? If so, how?
    Thanks.