My Acer Aspire TC-885 Fn Key is locked.

Options
Rareglobe
Rareglobe Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Model: Acer Aspire TC-885 Desktop Computer
S/N: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  (Edited by Acer-David)
SNID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (Edited by Acer-David)  
Acer Wireless Mouse & Keyboard (English & Thai layout) (shown in attached file)

Issue: The Fn key is always locked. I cannot unlock the Fn key. I have tried checking in the BIOS but haven't found any option to turn off the Fn key lock. This issue has caused some difficulties in using the  F1-F12 keys (e.g. the F2 key used for Edit/Rename is bind to the Fn key for Sleep which really interruptive). Any help is welcome! Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

• ALF_Tanner
    ALF_Tanner Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    On the Acer Aspire TC-885, I cannot find any way to lock the Fn key so that the normal F1, F2, F3 keys work without pressing the Fn key.  This is extremely annoying.  Why would they design a keyboard with a useless key feature that you cannot turn off?  I need REAL function keys for the programs I use.

Here is a list of things that people suggested that do not work:
    - There is no option in the BIOS. 
    - There is no language setting in Windows. 
    - The Fn-padlock key does not change the Fn lock.  It only logs out the user.
    - The "enable special keys" in Spanish is actually for the sticky keys and has nothing to do with the Fn key.
    - Num-lock does not affect Fn-lock.
    - The settings button does not bring up Fn-lock settings.
    - Fn-Esc does not work.

The ONLY thing that worked for me was to get rid of the piece of cr@p Acer keyboard and replace it with a keyboard that has normal function keys.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good Morning Rareglobe !

Please delete your S / N and do not share it open in the forum.

As for the Fn keys, have you already tweeted other keyboards?
    Did you check the system language setting?
    Did you really check whether the FunctionKeysBehavior option does not exist in Bios?
    Are you running Acer Quici Access?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you ever tried to press the fn + padlock key?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options
    When you hold the Fn key down and press F2, does it sleep or does it perform the F2 function?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options

I've tried the Fn + padlock key as shown in the picture and my PC just locked off into the Windows login screen. The Fn key is still locked after I logged in.
  • Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    When you hold the Fn key down and press F2, does it sleep or does it perform the F2 function?
    When I hold the Fn key down and press F2, it performs the F2 function. Without holding the Fn key, the F2 turns the PC into sleep.
  • Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning Rareglobe !

Did you really check whether the FunctionKeysBehavior option does not exist in Bios?

I've tried with the other keyboards and most of them work!  The issue only happens with most Wireless keyboard including the one that came with the machine itself. 

I've tried to look around in the system language setting but I've not found any option. Though I'm not quite certain if there is any option deep inside the language setting.

I've recheck within the BIOS. I found no option regarding the Fn keys behavior.

No, I'm not running the Acer Quick Access. Should I download and install it?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you set the boot-up num-lock option on bios to off?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Options
    Rareglobe said:
    billsey said:
    When I hold the Fn key down and press F2, it performs the F2 function. Without holding the Fn key, the F2 turns the PC into sleep.
    That's the default behavior then. As egydiocoelho suggests, there might be a BIOS setting to swap the defaults, but not all have that.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It would be interesting for you to check if "enable special keys" is enabled, as per this photo in Spanish.It would be interesting for you to check if "enable special keys" is enabled, as per this photo in Spanish.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rareglobe

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    What happens when you set the boot-up num-lock option on bios to off?
    When I set the boot-up Num-lock option on Bios to off, the number keys on the most right of the keyboard behaved like they are arrow keys and PageUp and PageDown keys. The Fn keys still behave in its always Fn mode.
  • Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    It would be interesting for you to check if "enable special keys" is enabled, as per this photo in Spanish.It would be interesting for you to check if "enable special keys" is enabled, as per this photo in Spanish.

I've checked and found that all of them are not enabled. (as shown in the photo below)

I've checked and found that all of them are not enabled. (as shown in the photo above)
  • Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    Maybe, the issue is with the Acer Bluetooth keyboard itself. I've tried this keyboard with other machines and all of the desktop PCs get this issue while most laptops do not. The laptops that get this issue can be resolved through the BIOS's setting.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the keyboard model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    What is the keyboard model?
    It's the Acer keyboard model: KBRFCR (as shown in the attached files)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Bluetooth devices usually have a reset button. Have you tried resetting the keyboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    Bluetooth devices usually have a reset button. Have you tried resetting the keyboard?
    There's no reset button. It's my mistake that I've called it an Acer Bluetooth keyboard. It's actually an Acer Wireless Keyboard & Mouse.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does this button open any keyboard settings?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    Does this button open any keyboard settings?

The button (between the Prt Scr and Sound Mute) opens the Windows Settings window as shown in the attached file.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is acer quick access application installed? Also, have you tried removing the keyboard driver in device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Rareglobe

Tinkerer

Options
    MaClane said:
    Good Morning Rareglobe !

I've tried with the other keyboards and most of them work!  The issue is only happened with specific Bluetooth keyboard that came with the machine itself. 

I've tried to look around in the system language setting but I've not found any option. Though I'm not quite certain if there is any option deep inside the language setting.

I've recheck within the BIOS. I found no option regarding the Fn keys behavior. (as shown in the attached files)

No, I'm not running the Acer Quick Access. Should I download and install it?
This discussion has been closed.