Predator PH517-61 storage addition

Cayipper
Cayipper Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
hi folks, i'm laptop ignorant but i would appreciate some advice on the best options to add addition storage. my Predator  PH517-61 came with 256gb i'd like to add 500gb 2.5" drive and a 500gb for the M-2 slot.  is this doable?  if so please provide make/model for the two options. thanks for the input.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, that upgrade should be reasonably easy. Your laptop supports a single 2.5" HDD a single M.2 SSD that's either SATA or nVME. nVME is quite a bit faster than SATA so I'd suggest replacing the existing SSD with either a 500GB or 1TB version. It needs to be the 2280 form factor and you should have the mounting screw already holding yours in place. The HDD is a little more problematic because you'll need the cable and mounting bracket which I don't believe are shipped with SKUs that aren't pre-populated with a HDD. The HDD cable is Acer part number 50.Q3NN7.009, the HDD bracket is 42.SHXN7.003.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hi, @Cayipper Please look at the following info to choose the correct drives.

If you are satisfied with my reply please accept my resolution. Thanks. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It comes with a nvme ssd. You can install a SATA 3 in the other slot.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, that upgrade should be reasonably easy. Your laptop supports a single 2.5" HDD a single M.2 SSD that's either SATA or nVME. nVME is quite a bit faster than SATA so I'd suggest replacing the existing SSD with either a 500GB or 1TB version. It needs to be the 2280 form factor and you should have the mounting screw already holding yours in place. The HDD is a little more problematic because you'll need the cable and mounting bracket which I don't believe are shipped with SKUs that aren't pre-populated with a HDD. The HDD cable is Acer part number 50.Q3NN7.009, the HDD bracket is 42.SHXN7.003.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cayipper
    thanks for the quick response.  would these two drives work
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MH2P5ZD?aaxitk=DKFqEwtJY6iE2fc6Xhci3Q&pd_rd_i=B07MH2P5ZD&pf_rd_p=9420597b-7dad-4cbd-a28d-7d676ac67378&hsa_cr_id=6364620410901&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=WD BLACK SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS500G3X0C
    WD BLACK SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS500G3X0C

WD Black 500GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache 7 MM 2.5 Inch - WD5000LPLX

thanks again
  • Cayipper
    for the 2nd empty M-2 slot
    WD BLACK SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND - WDS500G3X0C

for the 2.5" slot/bay?
    WD Black 500GB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 32MB Cache 7 MM 2.5 Inch - WD5000LPLX

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Hi, @Cayipper Please look at the following info to choose the correct drives.

If you are satisfied with my reply please accept my resolution. Thanks. 
  • Cayipper
    i am new to laptop upgrades and am finding it confusing, i would like to buy additional storage for the empty m.2 slot. i had a chat with tech support this is the info from them;
     Solid state drive
    256 GB / 512 GB, PCIe Gen3 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe 
    128 / 256 / 512 GB / SATA 6 Gb/s 
    i assume that the 512 GB, PCIe Gen3 8 Gb up to 4 lanes, NVMe  is the available m.2 slot? so online i found two options.  could the community advise on which is the best one, or recommend a specific alternative; option one,
     WD Black 512GB Performance SSD - 8 Gb/s M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive – WDS512G1X0C 
    https://www.amazon.com/Black-512GB-Performance-SSD-WDS512G1X0C/dp/B01MR4VOBZ

option two
    https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-SN750-500GB-Internal-Gaming/dp/B07MH2P5ZD/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=FG7EAZM05Q7NTND1KRN8&th=1

please advise, thank you.

• There are two variations of the ph517 model, see:
    a) ph517-51: this version comes with an integrated intel processor and supports two ssd nvme;
    b) ph517-61: this version has an amd processor (pga that can be replaced). However, it only accepts one ssd nvme and one ssd sata 3: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/651073/#Comment_651073
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cayipper
    this question is still unanswered, i have PH517-61 (AMD) with a empty m.2 slot. one m.2 slot has the drive with the OS the other m.2 slot is empty. will one of the option below work with the empty slot? is which one or either? if none will work please advise on a drive that will work.
    i assume that the 512 GB, PCIe Gen3 8 Gb up to 4 lanes, NVMe  is the available m.2 slot?
     so online i found two options.  could the community advise on which is the best one, or recommend a specific alternative; option one,
     WD Black 512GB Performance SSD - 8 Gb/s M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive – WDS512G1X0C 

option two,

please advise, thank you.

• Probably your model has come with an SSD nvme. Can you tell me the exact model of the notebook? Example an515-51-75kz.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cayipper

Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-61-R0GX Gaming Laptop, AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Desktop Processor, AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 Graphics, 17.3" Full HD 144Hz Radeon FreeSync Display, 16GB DDR4, 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It comes with a nvme ssd. You can install a SATA 3 in the other slot.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• smjparsons
    smjparsons Member Posts: 2 New User
    I can't get anything in the other M.2 slot. Tech support tells me that they NEVER TESTED slot 1. They can't even make a suggestion, I'll just have to use trial and error. I tried nvme and sata and they both kept the system from booting past the logo screen. No options available, no sub menus, nothing. I'm so bummed... Sending it back.( Should I get the Intel one? ) I have seen the post saying that Acronis will help fix it but I don't want to void any warranty. Help?