Couple Performance Questions on the Nitro 5 Spin NP515-51. NitroSense and Thermal Throttling

Options
MrPython
MrPython Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I've gotten this Nitro 5 Spin NP515-51 a couple months ago, and I decided to try and improve the performance of this thing because of its lack of performance in AAA games that a GTX 1050 should perform greatly in. After doing a couple of tests, I noticed that the CPU and GPU power throttled at 75 Celsius. So, I've tried to do some digging to see if I could find a way to stop that, but no success. Is there any way I can stop the throttle. To add on, I know my cooling system is more than capable to deal with more than 75 C because it is repasted with Thermal Grizzly Conductionaut (Liquid Metal). Also, is there any way I can control the fan speed on my laptop, because I don't quite understand why they don't have NitroSense available on a laptop that is branded as a Nitro laptop lol. Thanks for taking the time to read this message and answer my question if possible!

-MrPython

Answers

• MrPython

Tinkerer

Options
    I forgot to put specs, soo:
    CPU: i7-8550U
    GPU: GTX 1050
    RAM: 8GB speed unknown
  • flowerdealer
    flowerdealer Member Posts: 33 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Uninstall Intel Thermal Framework (google how to do it). This will keep the cpu from throttling. Install asus gpu tweak and having running. This seems to lift the gpu temperature limitation. With both of these tweaks, my cpu and gpu temps easily go over 85-90 celcius, but you avoid throttling. Let me know if you've found any other tips.
  • MrPython

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
    Options
    Uninstall Intel Thermal Framework (google how to do it). This will keep the cpu from throttling. Install asus gpu tweak and having running. This seems to lift the gpu temperature limitation. With both of these tweaks, my cpu and gpu temps easily go over 85-90 celcius, but you avoid throttling. Let me know if you've found any other tips.
    I made an NBFC config, I’ll post that here. I’ve fixed the CPU throttling using Throttlestop, but still have the issue with the GPU. I’ll try and remember to post the config here tomorrow, and I’ll try the GPU thing tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
  • MrPython

Tinkerer

Options
    Yea it didn't work for me
  • lorddestrian
    lorddestrian Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    @MrPythonI've got the same issue on my Nitro 5 Spin as well, the only difference being I have the i5-8250u version. Were you able to fix it, get a refund or something?
  • MrPython

Tinkerer

Options
    @MrPythonI've got the same issue on my Nitro 5 Spin as well, the only difference being I have the i5-8250u version. Were you able to fix it, get a refund or something?
    I did some research and about 20 hours of work and I made myself a config for the spin to control the fans. You can change the fan curve and stuff like that as well. If you wan that lmk
  • lorddestrian
    lorddestrian Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    MrPython said:
    I did some research and about 20 hours of work and I made myself a config for the spin to control the fans. You can change the fan curve and stuff like that as well. If you wan that lmk
    I would love that.