Can someone recommend a budget 500 GB drive for my second slot on my new PH517-61-R0GX

Options
Jabbo
Jabbo Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The one upgrade I need to make is my new Predator only comes with a small 256GB NVME drive. I'd like to add a 500 GB drive to the second slot but I'm computer stupid so I don't want to order something that won't work. I don't need a ton of space as my current laptop I've never used more than 500 GB in the last 4 years. I just play a couple games and surf the internet mostly. For any long term large storage, pictures and family videos, I use an external drive I keep locked in a fire proof safe. 

I understand the laptop comes with a 2.5 drive bracket in the box for the second slot. Is it hard to install that and use a 2.5 hard drive? I found this one on Amazon and it looks ok to me but what do I know, I really have no clue. Will this one work for the second slot? 
https://www.amazon.com/Black-500GB-Performance-Mobile-Drive/dp/B00QFXOL5G/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=500gb+laptop+drive&qid=1563348061&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,133 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, that drive will work in your laptop.
    1.Disconnect the battery after removing the back cover.
    2.Lift and remove the battery.
    3.Remove two screws from the HDD bay cover.
    4.Take off the cover and install the HDD.
    I am not sure whether it comes with the bracket, if it doesn't, use some soft non conductive material to make the HDD secured in the bay, you can use any rubber cut to size or packing sponge.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,133 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, that drive will work in your laptop.
    1.Disconnect the battery after removing the back cover.
    2.Lift and remove the battery.
    3.Remove two screws from the HDD bay cover.
    4.Take off the cover and install the HDD.
    I am not sure whether it comes with the bracket, if it doesn't, use some soft non conductive material to make the HDD secured in the bay, you can use any rubber cut to size or packing sponge.