edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I have the aspire xc780 and want to downgrade to win 7 pro

Best Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Downgrade from win 10 to win 7
    First you would need windows 7 pro ISO bootable USB media. Next thing go to BIOS and check for Boot and Boot mode. Change the Boot mode from UEFI to Legacy then connect the USB drive and make it priority and save the settings. 

Some times you may not be able to change the BOOT mode. To enable this first go to security and disable secure boot and post this try the above steps. For few devices you may not see Boot mode. For this go to Boot and select "Never" for Launch CSM and follow the above steps. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • PC_Confused
    PC_Confused Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Options
    gordonracing - you do realize that Windows 7 will reach it's end of life January 20, 2020.  No more irritating updates, to spend your time waiting to finish...  I really liked Windows XP, which is still in use on another PC.  Of course I'm old enough I still have a DOS 2.11 diskette.  Have you tried playing with Linux?  I'm trying to learn Linux Mint and so far it really seems friendly to users.  Use a Live DVD and try it.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you want to install Windows 7 (not recommended), then follow these steps.

1. Create a Windows 10 USB recovery drive using the Acer Care Center app on your computer and then put in a safe place.
    2. Go in to your BIOS settings and make the following changes (to put your computer in to legacy mode)

disable secure boot
    set "launch CSM" to "always"
    enable the F12 boot menu
    save/exit

3.  Boot the Windows 7 DVD by tapping the F12 key at Acer logo
    4.  Choose "custom installation" and delete all of your partitions (this will completely wipe your HDD)
    5.  Press and hold your computers power button until your computer shuts off
    6. Turn on your computer and install Windows 7
    7.  Acer doesn't provide Windows 7 drivers so you'll have to find those on your own.  You can google search for the hardware IDs from Device Manager if you're missing any drivers.

Windows 7 is prone to rootkits (viruses) and not recommended.

To restore your desktop to Windows 10 and UEFI mode, follow the steps below.

1.  Backup your important personal files because the following steps will wipe your HDD
    2. Boot your Windows 7 DVD by tapping the F12 key
    3. Select Custom Installation
    4.  Delete all of your partitions (which will wipe your drive)
    5.  Press and hold your computers power button until it shuts off
    6.  Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    7.  Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit
    8.  Remove your Windows 7 DVD and insert your Windows 10 USB
    9.  Boot your Windows 10 recovery USB by tapping the F12 key at the Acer  logo 
    10.  Reset your PC

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• gordonracing
    gordonracing Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    First you would need windows 7 pro ISO bootable USB media. Next thing go to BIOS and check for Boot and Boot mode. Change the Boot mode from UEFI to Legacy then connect the USB drive and make it priority and save the settings. 

Some times you may not be able to change the BOOT mode. To enable this first go to security and disable secure boot and post this try the above steps. For few devices you may not see Boot mode. For this go to Boot and select "Never" for Launch CSM and follow the above steps. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • gordonracing
    Options
    wimdows 7 drivers for acer aspire where will I find them? I have a win 7 Pro disc purchased at frys same day when I bought this pc new. I appreciate the help, dont care for the 10 changes  7 is very user friendly
  • PC_Confused
    PC_Confused Member Posts: 21 Networker
    Answer ✓
    Options
    gordonracing - you do realize that Windows 7 will reach it's end of life January 20, 2020.  No more irritating updates, to spend your time waiting to finish...  I really liked Windows XP, which is still in use on another PC.  Of course I'm old enough I still have a DOS 2.11 diskette.  Have you tried playing with Linux?  I'm trying to learn Linux Mint and so far it really seems friendly to users.  Use a Live DVD and try it.
  • gordonracing
    Options
    Yes I am aware but the terms of win 10 are not normal, win 7 like xp which I loved was most easy to use their best I believe, why would Bill Gates who made his fortune off of windows, suddenly give away win 10 for everyone? I dislike the changes put into 8,8.1, and 10. I do well with update completely off always have. except you cannot shut down update in 10 it overrides your decision. If I purchase an os , I expect to have control over the decisions my family will enjoy, and myself. and do not appreciate the fact that all my personal info is up for grabs and bid by every partner one company can use. Privacy and family protection is still important to us, hope you understand. Stats show parents shove a notebook or phone in front of children to occupy their time so they themselves can be drawn into the newest tech. Shame we do this when our children our our future, and I submit without them there is no future, cept for AI
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you want to install Windows 7 (not recommended), then follow these steps.

1. Create a Windows 10 USB recovery drive using the Acer Care Center app on your computer and then put in a safe place.
    2. Go in to your BIOS settings and make the following changes (to put your computer in to legacy mode)

disable secure boot
    set "launch CSM" to "always"
    enable the F12 boot menu
    save/exit

3.  Boot the Windows 7 DVD by tapping the F12 key at Acer logo
    4.  Choose "custom installation" and delete all of your partitions (this will completely wipe your HDD)
    5.  Press and hold your computers power button until your computer shuts off
    6. Turn on your computer and install Windows 7
    7.  Acer doesn't provide Windows 7 drivers so you'll have to find those on your own.  You can google search for the hardware IDs from Device Manager if you're missing any drivers.

Windows 7 is prone to rootkits (viruses) and not recommended.

To restore your desktop to Windows 10 and UEFI mode, follow the steps below.

1.  Backup your important personal files because the following steps will wipe your HDD
    2. Boot your Windows 7 DVD by tapping the F12 key
    3. Select Custom Installation
    4.  Delete all of your partitions (which will wipe your drive)
    5.  Press and hold your computers power button until it shuts off
    6.  Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    7.  Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu and then save/exit
    8.  Remove your Windows 7 DVD and insert your Windows 10 USB
    9.  Boot your Windows 10 recovery USB by tapping the F12 key at the Acer  logo 
    10.  Reset your PC

I'm not an Acer employee.