What did I just purchase?

Options
RachelLee
RachelLee Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I'm hoping I'm missing something here, but I see no word processing program of any kind. I tried to download OpenOffice and the laptop prompted me to download another app to be able to open/run the OpenOffice that I downloaded. The only options I see are for apps that require working online and/or logging in. I bought this laptop almost solely for typing up my presentations, so this is really frustrating. I have never bought a laptop or computer that didn't have the ability to start a document- did I just buy a really heavy notebook or a tablet with a keyboard?  :/  (If I seem excessively bothered by this, I ran to the store to buy this before closing because my laptop screen shattered and I needed to finish work before tomorrow...which it appears will not happen. Despite buying a laptop.)

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    We need to know more about the device you bought, what's the model number of the device you bought, like Ex-xxx or something like it.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    If a Chromebook and not a geek (or know one) then you are limited to what is in the Google Play Store. OTOH with some nerddom available then Chromebooks make inexpensive Linux machines and they can run about anything. Just my opinion.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There are lots of Office-like applications that run in the Chromebook browser, including Microsoft Office itself. Depending on what model of Chromebook you have you will either get it from the Chrome Store or the Android Play Store. You may have been thinking you had to go the OpenOffice route (which I believe runs under Linux emulation on a Chromebook, hence the extra stuff needed) without realizing Office itself was just a download away.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Your mystery machine if bought new came with Google Docs. That's a word processing program. If not bought new and no Google Docs, use the Google Play icon to find the Google Doc app and download it.
  • RachelLee
    RachelLee Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I returned the Chromebook as soon as the store opened, but thank you!