Acer screens are bad(TMP645-SG-79QV-US)

FenderGuy
FenderGuy Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I have an amazing Travelmate TMP645-SG-79QV-US that Ive had for a while now and was under warranty until Dec of 2018, Ive had to replace the screen a couple of times under warranty for screen burn or screen issues. Well after the warranty expired I noticed screen burn again and today my laptop just shut off while I was working on it while it was attached to the Acer Pro Dock 3. I tried to restart it a couple of times and it would not turn back on, I let it cool down. I remembered about the battery re-set that sometimes works, The battery is another issue as well as its been replaced before. Decided to disconnect battery and reset it, plugged it in and turned on the laptop without the battery connected to make sure it would fully turn on, which it did. So the screen is black, but it turns back on. I connected the battery and put everything together, docked it and turned on the laptop with battery power. My external screen is working but of course the laptop screen is not. I can use it this way for a while, but I am not happy with the Acer screen being the weak link to this otherwise amazing laptop. I hesitate to open a ticket since now its not under warranty and the screen is going to get replaced a 4th time since Ive owned. Yes Im savy with the internals of this laptop, but unsure if I should bother getting the screen fixed, since I dock it and my external screen works and is bigger.

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Are you sure it's the screen and not the video ribbon cable from opening & closing the lid too much? Hinge area cable failure is common especially if you can still HDMI/etc out to an external monitor. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ