Acer Extensa 5230E laptop upgrades?

turbopete
turbopete Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi
I have an old Acer Extense 5230E(581G16Mn if it makes a difference) laptop which works great but a little slow. it does occasionally suffer from screen flicker which i believe is the hinge connections between the base and the screen. I have installed 3gb of RAM (but for some reason will only recognise 2gb no matter what i try!) and currently runs an as yet unactivated version of windows 10 pro, 32bit.

now im not great with PCs etc but the laptop is used as a back up machine for my desktop (rebuilt earlier in the year after a motherboard failure, it was originally an Acer Aspire M5201, and was rebuilt into that outer casing!) and also for my car diagnostic programmes (the few i have so far) so needs to run reasonably quickly and reliably.

im guessing rebuilding with a newer/custom type Motherboard isnt possible on a laptop (such as the desktop now runs a Gigabyte motherboard) so i can run more up to date internals?

if that assumption is correct, i am planning on getting some fresh ram and maxing the motherboard out to 4gb, and possibly getting an SSD (im assuming they can be installed in this laptop?) but what else can i do to make the unit faster? battery life is adequate at 2 hours + (not sure that could be made any better on the standard sized battery) so whats the best/cheapest way to make my laptop faster and better? my budget currently wont stretch to a new laptop and i need USB ports for the diagnostic cables so a tablet is out (plus id need to install the programmes to a tablet somehow!) so looking at making this one faster or (if the prices ever come down) possibly getting a laptop that converts to a tablet, so i have best of both worlds.

sorry for the long winded post, but any suggestions would be greatfully accepted!

Answers

• turbopete
    anyone got any ideas?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    edited July 2019
    These earlier dual channel RAM laptops are sometimes finicky about using matched modules. So it should accept two 2GB DDR2 667MHz or higher preferrably matched set of modules for a total of 4GB. However, the absolute biggest performance bang for the buck will come from swapping the 2.5" HDD for a 2.5" SSD.    Go to this link  for specs on what would be compatible https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/extensa-5230e  You don't have to buy from them but they are competitive and usually guarantee what they recommend will work no questions asked. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• turbopete
    i had a feeling the SSD would be a good point to start, and that the RAM might be an issue but was thinking about possibly upgrading the CPU also, but cant find any definitive info as to what works best on this machine, as its currently only really used as a back up machine and for my car diagnostic tool, but it may be used for more demanding applications in the future.
    also, thanks for the link, but im UK based so id probably be best to get an SSD from a UK supplier
  • turbopete
    still looking into this, as im now needing to use the laptop a little more often and the complete AGE it takes to boot up (windows 10 pro) isnt helping. im sourcing an SSD as we speak but ive seen people running a T7500 CPU (its not soldered into the socket, its a socket P apparently, according to CPUupgrade.com website) on youtube (a geerman guy shows him installing it and shows up on the specs) so wondering if anything with a socket P and max 800 FSB would be compatible, on top of SSD and RAM upgrade to 4gb?
  • JackE
    Original specsheet CPU options are shown below. As long as the formfactor is identical and electronic specs similar to whatever's in there now, it should work. The only real bottleneck with higher performing CPU will be determined by your bus. However you should google T7500 vs your current CPU for comparison. For example t7500 vs t3400 show only modest gains. If OS or program load times and disk intensive apps seem to be an issue, an SSD again will give you the biggest bang for the buck, not CPU, not RAM. Good luck. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• turbopete
    edited July 2020
    how much of an issue is a change of TDP for the processor? would it be an issue to go from 36w to 45w (or whatever the figures were) or would it destroy battery life even further?
    also mine has the Celeron M 585 rather than the 575 which has similar speeds etc to the T3400 but only single core, so possibly not much to gain there. i was thinking of possibly a T9300 or T7800
  • JackE
    Some firmware allows it. Most don't. Check your BIOS main tab and press Ctrl+S to see if any hidden options appear. I can find only one mainboard listed with part no MB.TRM01.001 which appears to also support dual core. Googling this part no reveals advertisers offering to include a CPU which you would have to check which one. As mentioned, for your own board you should choose similar electronic specs. I think a 25% power increase spec is within the tolerable range for this board if voltages are the same. No 100% guarantees though. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ