What are the limits of the card slot on Acer Chromebook, CB5-312T

Fireb4ll455
Fireb4ll455 Member Posts: 4 New User
I have a problem with my Acer Chromebook, CB5-312T-K5X4, (R13).   Using a brand new 256 GB Sandisk Micro sdxc card with a V10 rating, (model# ?) 9221DVAC6472.  Nothing comes up and the "files" manager doesn't show the card in the file system.  
The Chromebook will read the two other sdxc cards I have. Both are much smaller capacity at 32GB. Also, my son's Win 10 machine can see the Sandisk 256 GB sdxc card, format it (exfat32) and write to it. Afterwards, the Chromebook still didn't see the Sandisk 256 GB card.  So the 256GB card works and the Chromebook's slot works, just not with each other. How do I make them work together?  If it won't work by design limitations, I feel misled by stating that is has the card slot but not stating the obvious limitation.  BTW, you can buy 512 GB microSDXC cards now.  These cards are usually used as a workaround for the very limited storage capacity of the emmc "hard drives".  If the slot is limited to 32GB and cannot be upgraded, all of these Chromebooks just became obsolete.  I'll be returning mine asap.
Let me know.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening Fireb4ll455 !

This is the information on the support according to the service manual:

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Fireb4ll455
    Thank you for that info.  I'm looking for something a bit more in-depth on just the sd card slot.
  • Larryloe
    Larryloe Member Posts: 4 New User
    This tells us nothing--I'd like to know the max limit before i buy a new card!
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Larryloe !

To keep the forum organized and your question to have greater visibility, please avoid posting on topics already solved, opened by other users or inactive.
    Always open a new post, just as it has been guided by moderators.
    Put an @ in front of my name that I guide you there for any questions.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    Unfortunately the only info we have on the CB5-312T models is:
    And a quick Google on the "Meditak" (actually MediaTek) chipset doesn't seem to have that spec included either. If it's a SDHC port we know it will fully support 32GB cards and likely support reading and writing larger cards, albeit at the SDHC speeds. If it's a SDXC then we know it will likely support up to 2TB once those are available.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ferkemall
    ferkemall Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

wish mine would be able to read the 32g SD seems to be a problem with these chromebooks ,wont even format it !
  • billsey
    What filesystem are you using on the card? Try FAT32, exFAT and NTFS to see which works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Fireb4ll455
    I don't remember the format type but I eventually found out that the limitation was due to the cpu/chipset.  The chromebook manufacturer should have known this.  Instead I was subject to powerwashing the unit and changing setting after setting until the on-line tech finally gave up.  Later, after I found out that the limit was so low (32 MB?) I returned the unit and bought something with a non-atom-based cpu.  That fixed the problem.
  • billsey
    The normal limits for SDHC slots are 32GB, though usually you can use larger cards, you just can't format them. SDXC supports much larger (2TB IIRC) and the original SD only supports 2GB. I expect the CB5-312T has a SDHC slot, though that wasn't called out in the specs.