What version of Debian does the CB3-532 run?

MJabot
MJabot Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
What version of Debian does the CB3-532 run? I need to run a version of Debian different than Stretch for an application

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning MJabot !

Chromebooks use Chrome OS, which is based only on the Linux Kernel Core.
    Then it will depend on which update is installed.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MJabot
    Thank you!!!  What I am trying to do is figure out how I can force an update to have the Debian that includes Qt 5.9 or higher (such as Buster). The version I have now is Version 74.0.3729.159 which is Stretch. I am willing to purchase a new Chromebook, but just want to be sure it will run Buster
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    The Debian support for Chromebooks is the ability to run some applications, not a replacement for the full Debian OS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MJabot
    Thank you! The application runs well, just the newest version requires a Debian kernel different than Stretch
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening!

It is possible to install a Linux distribution on a Chromebook.
    It is not a simple product depending on the developer, but it can be done.
    However in some cases (in addition to the loss of warranty) it is not possible to return to Chrome OS later and some incompatibilities may occur.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Google will likely upgrade the core as part of their normal ChromeOS update process, but I know of no way to speed that along. A full Debian install as MaClane suggests is pretty hairy, and would remove the ChromeOS completely.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MJabot
    Thank you!! I’ll keep an eye open for the upgrade