SSD upgrade Aspire E5-553G

Options
Giovadtt
Giovadtt Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited June 2019 in Aspire Laptops
Hi guys, i have the laptop in the title, and i feel it is a little slow with some lag, so i decided to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD but i don't know which one may be compatible 
Could you give me some explanations? 
The motherboard is a Acer Wasp_BR 
Thanks 

Answers

• Manfred28
    Manfred28 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi there,

do you want to swap your existing HDD for a SSD? If thats the matter then you can use any 2,5" SSD.
    A Samsung 860 EVO might be the best bang for the buck, but a Crucial MX500 or Western Digital Blue SSD will do it too.

The Aspire E5-553G has a M.2 Slot too, so you could use a M.2 SATA SSD additional to your existing HDD.

mfg Ronny

• Giovadtt

Tinkerer

Options
    Manfred28 said:

Hi there,

do you want to swap your existing HDD for a SSD? If thats the matter then you can use any 2,5" SSD.
    A Samsung 860 EVO might be the best bang for the buck, but a Crucial MX500 or Western Digital Blue SSD will do it too.

The Aspire E5-553G has a M.2 Slot too, so you could use a M.2 SATA SSD additional to your existing HDD.

mfg Ronny

Hi Manfres! Thanks for your reply! 
    Could you explain me the difference between a common 2,5" SSD and a M.2 SATA SSD, in terms of performance and connectivity?
    Moreover, someone has suggested me to go for a 3" SSD, so i'm pretty confused now that you've told me to go for a 2,5" ... 
  • Manfred28
    Manfred28 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi there,

performance-wise its the same, SATA = SATA, only the connectivity is different.

M.2 SSDs are a lot smaller and doesnt need that much space. This pic shows the difference.

2,5" is right, 3" doesnt exist. For desktop computers, harddisks usually are 3,5" in size, portable computers use
    the smaller 2,5" format. The standard SSD format for notebooks is the M.2 format, so you shoud go that way
    and buy a M.2 SSD. Install windows on that SSD for a huge speed-up and keep the HDD for your data.

mfg Ronny

• Giovadtt

Tinkerer

Options
    Manfred28 said:

Hi there,

performance-wise its the same, SATA = SATA, only the connectivity is different.

M.2 SSDs are a lot smaller and doesnt need that much space. This pic shows the difference.

2,5" is right, 3" doesnt exist. For desktop computers, harddisks usually are 3,5" in size, portable computers use
    the smaller 2,5" format. The standard SSD format for notebooks is the M.2 format, so you shoud go that way
    and buy a M.2 SSD. Install windows on that SSD for a huge speed-up and keep the HDD for your data.

mfg Ronny

Ok Manfred, you perfectly answered my question and now i have no doubt about what to do, i'll go for a M.2,
    thanks a lot! See you to the next question!
  • Ilyaivanovich
    Ilyaivanovich Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi guys I recently purchased an m2 ssd for an acer aspire E 5-553G but nom I find the slot to insert the card does anyone know where I can find the ssd m2 memory slot?
  • Speedy121
    Speedy121 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi guys I recently purchased an m2 ssd for an acer aspire E 5-553G but nom I find the slot to insert the card does anyone know where I can find the ssd m2 memory slot?
    Try viewing this Acer video, It shows much of the information about the drive slots. Note that the laptop you have has a SATA controller, Use a M.2 NGFF card, not a NVMe format.

M.2 NVMe SSD Explained - M.2 vs SSD      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfIeTieXOI

All SSD Types EXPLAINED  
    by  Greg Salazar
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx0ynC8Thlw

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,451 Trailblazer
    Options
    Giovadtt said:
    Hi guys, i have the laptop in the title, and i feel it is a little slow with some lag, so i decided to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD but i don't know which one may be compatible 
    Could you give me some explanations? 
    The motherboard is a Acer Wasp_BR 
    Thanks 

Just as an addition, what are the exact specs of your E5-553G laptop as giving us this and that “The motherboard is a Acer Wasp_BR” means nothing as this laptop came with either a none M.2 SSD motherboard and with an M.2 SSD dive provisions motherboard (there are 10 different part numbers for the E5-553 models) and the different models can only be recognised by either you looking at the motherboard and/or Acer part numbers as both 2.5” spinner HDD and the M.2 B&M end key type drive are both of the SATA-3 - 6GBB/sec spec type drives.