Acer Nitro 5 Overheating and battery is also draining fast.

ThedaSingh
ThedaSingh Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Acer Nitro 5 is overheating for no reason. CPU and GPU usage is barely touching 10% usage but the temperature is above 80 degrees. Also, the battery is draining super fast when I'm not gaming or doing any heavy CPU/GPU usage tasks. Nitrosense is also of no use. Keeping it in power saver doesn't help. Any Solution for reducing the battery drain and temperature. Thanks in advance

My Nitro 5 specs:-
i5 8th gen
1050ti
256gb ssd and 1tb hdd 

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    First of all your CPU and GPU are not overheating, Nitro and Predator are designed to run hotter than other Notebooks and anything below 90 deg C with occasional spikes is within the norm. As for the battery without more details it's hard to say but I suspect you have a background process running that is demanding power, check your Task Manager for anything unusual and then do this: 
    Select the Start button, then select Settings  > System  > Battery  > See which apps are affecting your battery life.
    The list of apps shows how much battery each one is using. You can choose which apps to allow. 
    Keeping Nitrosense in Power Saver might not appear to help but running Battery on High performance will help even less. Make sure that you are on Battery saver in Windows 10 settings and this Microsoft article might help
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20443/windows-10-battery-saving-tips
    Finally DO NOT game using the battery no gaming laptop is designed to do this, gaming requires full power and that is only achieved on AC with a battery that is already at 100%. On the Nitro 5 it is recommended to charge your battery to 100% and then leave the power cord plugged in before gaming.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• andylb
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    First of all your CPU and GPU are not overheating, Nitro and Predator are designed to run hotter than other Notebooks and anything below 90 deg C with occasional spikes is within the norm. As for the battery without more details it's hard to say but I suspect you have a background process running that is demanding power, check your Task Manager for anything unusual and then do this: 
    Select the Start button, then select Settings  > System  > Battery  > See which apps are affecting your battery life.
    The list of apps shows how much battery each one is using. You can choose which apps to allow. 
    Keeping Nitrosense in Power Saver might not appear to help but running Battery on High performance will help even less. Make sure that you are on Battery saver in Windows 10 settings and this Microsoft article might help
    Finally DO NOT game using the battery no gaming laptop is designed to do this, gaming requires full power and that is only achieved on AC with a battery that is already at 100%. On the Nitro 5 it is recommended to charge your battery to 100% and then leave the power cord plugged in before gaming.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ThedaSingh
    ThedaSingh Member Posts: 2 New User
    andylb said:
    SOLVED.. its actually the settings I tweaked in the nvidia control panel which probably demanded more power. Restoring the default settings made by battery back to normal. 
  • andylb
    @ThedaSingh glad to hear it, it's sometimes the simplest of things

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★