Chromebook Tab 10 D651N WiFi Connection Problems

Options
dlfuller
dlfuller Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I don't know if this is a hardware or a software problem when using WiFi on my new Acer Chromebook Tab 10 (Chrome OS Version 74.0.3729.159).

It is slow in making connections on both 2.5 GHz and 5 GHz channels.  Starting from a hard restart and initial connection, speeds will be marginal for a while and will then drastically deteriorate within about an hour of operation.  Reconnections will then also become problematic, sometimes working and sometimes failing to connect. 

Other devices (Android) at the same physical locations at the same time exhibit none of these problems and are using the same router access point.

WiFi does not seem to honor settings like keeping WiFi on during sleep or for preferred SSIDs.  Hardware troubleshooting steps in trying different locations, channels, frequencies, wifi settings, bluetooth on or off, etc., do not make any difference.

At first it seemed like maybe a WiFi chip failure as it warms up, but I also noticed recently reported connection problems on the Chromebook Help and Bug reporting forums.

Any recommendations appreciated.  This new Tab 10 is simply not usable this way.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    dlfuller
    In order to fix hardware issue in chromebook do the below step and than check

Hard reset your Chromebook

For most Chromebooks, follow the steps below:

1. Turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold Refresh Refresh + tap Power Shut down
    3. When your Chromebook starts up, release Refresh Refresh.
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • dlfuller

Tinkerer

Options
    Of course I did that several times while troubleshooting.  (Well actually the steps for a hard restart are slightly different on a tablet.)

"forget" SSIDs, hard restart, setup SSIDs again, etc., would connect pretty quickly and be okay for a while.  Then drastically deteriorate within about an hour of operation.  Or quicker.
  • dlfuller

Tinkerer

Options
    Please reconsider this post.  Lack of Acer response will doom this tablet project.

I've been evaluating one of your Model D651N Tab 10s for a client planning a bulk purchase of multiple tablets for their employees.

The Chromebook approach in a tablet has worked well except for one major concern.  WiFi connections have been erratic.  Speeds on several 802.11n 2.4 and 5 GHz channels are acceptable after initial connection but will degrade.  Typically after 15 to 30 minutes.

This degraded speed condition occur in spite of changing the advanced setting for WiFi to always remain "on".  WiFi will still disconnect after a period of sleep.  Also known WiFi networks will act forgotten or require re-entering password when needing to reconnect.  The "always on" was one of my first steps at troubleshooting.

It also occurs regardless of application (Android or Chrome) or website that's running.  Verified by LAN and WAN speed tests that were in a normal 10+ Mbps range that then degraded to a maximum of around 1 Mbps.  Signal strength at a typical site remained in the -55 to -75dBm range.

There is little SSID conflict from external sources in this location.  Only two internal ones that can establish a connection.  They do happen to be secured using WEP not WPA.  Also with minimal WiFi and internet traffic from other devices, there seemed no apparent relationship to the tablet's connection problems.  Other WiFi devices (phones) at the same location connected on the same channels and SSIDs exhibited none of the same connection problems. 

The frustrating part overall is "typically" and "usually".  No hard and fast conditions presenting clues to the exact cause.  The best solution when using is to completely power off, wait, restart the tablet, and then reconnect WiFi.  Turning WiFi off and reconnecting also works sometimes.

The tablet either does not, or has difficulties switching to a higher-power SSID when the current connection's strength becomes unacceptably low.  But avoiding that situation does not seem a viable solution for users.

The Chrome OS update (now 76.0.3809) did appear to improve WiFi connectability somewhat which raises a suspicion whether these erratic WiFi problems are software or hardware related.    Powerwashes and hard resets do not change the connectability.

Your comments and recommendations would be appreciated.  A solution or a workaround is needed  for these tablets to be acceptable in the intended use.

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Options

We are sorry to hear your tablet is having connection issue. We suggest you contact Acer support in your region to send your Chromebook to repair.
    The Acer Community is a peer-to-peer platform, where members help members with their unit. For further assistance clink on the link bellow.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • dlfuller

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the reply @Acer-Karp.  Is your feeling this is a hardware issue and not something in the operating system?
  • barrolssonbarrolsson
    barrolssonbarrolsson Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have some problems with my tab 10 as well, but I cant find the way to post a new topic. Where is it?
  • christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi barrolssonbarrolsson

Go to the main page and check for the option 'Ask A Question'  You can post your own threat in there. 

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    Options
    We are sorry you continue to have the Wi-fi connectivity issue. See bellow the steps to perform a hard rest on the Chromebook Tablet. We are not able to know if the issue is a hardware or software issue unless the unit is sent to repair. If the steps did not help solve the problem, we suggest you contact Acer support.

The Acer Community is not a direct support channel. The Community is a peer to peer platform where users help other users.

You can reset your Acer Chrome tablet to remove your personal information and reset all settings to factory defaults. Google calls this process "Powerwashing". There are three methods for Powerwashing your Chrome tablet. Select an option below for instructions on powerwashing your Chrome tablet.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.