Silent power supply on Aspire TC 780 A?

Options
Enegue
Enegue Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I had my machine on during an electrical storm hooked up to my surge/power block, I got two quick hits that dimmed the lights and activated my power block for only a few seconds each. This juggled stuff to where Windows rebooted. Every thing seems to be running fine.The only thing I find ,that seems odd, is that the cooling fan on the power supply is NOT running but the PSU is cool. Is the cooling fan supposed to stay on or only come on when PSU overheats? This would be specifically for the TC 780 A.
Thanks for your assistance.
Enegue

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good night Enegue !

The PSU fan should ALWAYS be active as long as the unit is charged with power.
    If yours is not working, please do not switch on the device in this way.
    The PSU will overheat quickly and cause hardware shorting and burning.
    Perform the PSU exchange immediately.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, one thing to be aware of with surge arrestors and UPSes is that the ability to survive a surge degrades over time. If yours is more than a couple of years old it will likely allow transient spikes through. I bet you got a strong enough surge through that it zapped either the fan or the fan control circuit in the PSU. Best to replace the supply since you don't know what other damage might have been done at the same time. Once the PSU has been damaged it might allow voltage spikes through to the important components that otherwise would have been filtered.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.