is C720 chromebook unsupported.

Options
vur
vur Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Recently a friend told me my C720 chromebook will not be supported from June 2019.  I cannot find a reference to this to confirm, nor have I been advised by Acer or Google.
Can anyone confirm and what does it mean?  

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi@vur 
    As per my knowledge, C720 chromebook was released roughly around the end of 2013, so the end of 2018 would be about the five year mark. As per the official EoL page, the C720 isn't due until Jun 2019. The June 2019 is the new extended Auto Update Expiration date.
    The good news is that Google has extended the AUE date for newer Chrome OS hardware: devices shipping today should get at least 6.5 years of updates instead of 5. But legacy Chromebooks and Chromeboxes still only get 5 years and some older models have already stopped receiving updates.
    You can certainly continue using a Chromebook after it reaches its Auto Update Expiration (AUE) date. But without any new updates you’re not guaranteed to get the latest security patches or new features as they become available.
    For more information on Google Auto Update policy :  
    https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi@vur 
    As per my knowledge, C720 chromebook was released roughly around the end of 2013, so the end of 2018 would be about the five year mark. As per the official EoL page, the C720 isn't due until Jun 2019. The June 2019 is the new extended Auto Update Expiration date.
    The good news is that Google has extended the AUE date for newer Chrome OS hardware: devices shipping today should get at least 6.5 years of updates instead of 5. But legacy Chromebooks and Chromeboxes still only get 5 years and some older models have already stopped receiving updates.
    You can certainly continue using a Chromebook after it reaches its Auto Update Expiration (AUE) date. But without any new updates you’re not guaranteed to get the latest security patches or new features as they become available.
    For more information on Google Auto Update policy :  
    https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful 
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • vur
    vur Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Thx for that info.   Here's a new question people. Things have come good now but I do not know why, so do not make a lot of effort looking for a solution, but if you know the answer, please let me know.

I use LastPass. Login to LP is by clicking its' extension icon and filling in a drop down. On a few odd times over the past month, the drop down would not appear so I googled for LastPass, found a Login link and used that.   5 days ago I had to use the link but the page with it was frozen.  Hovering the cursor over its' links produced the hand but clicking them did nothing. Also, the 3 dots for customising & controlling chrome was inactive.  Powering downs & restarts and cb logins worked as usual but ended with the frozen tab. The cb and my PC are synced.
    I have contacted LP support and their initial suggestions did not work and they have not made contact since I told them.

I tried resets of the cb with no luck. The purge page appeared but the purge link was inactive. I also tried inactivating extensions and deletion of browsing history via my PC. Extension disappeared from the cb (because it is synced) but I could not get rid of the rogue cb tab. The PC had the latest chrome browser (but I couldn't check the cb).  Suddenly however it has become normal and I do not know what I did or IF I did something.