KG281K How To Enable HDR?

cerealkeller
cerealkeller Member Posts: 4 New User
I recently got an Acer KG281K 4K Free Sync monitor.  I can't seem to get HDR to work.  I can't enable it in Windows 10 display settings as I would on my HDR TV.  The option is greyed out in the monitors "Mode" menu.  I am currently using DisplayPort as my input.  I was thinking maybe it required HDMI for HDR to work, which doesn't make sense to me if that's the case.  Can anybody tell me how to enable HDR?

Answers

• cerealkeller
    I meant to mention I'm using an RTX 2080 Ti graphics card, Free Sync is enabled or in my case, "G Sync Compatible" is enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel
  • cerealkeller
    So I've done some research.  DisplayPort version 1.4 supports HDR.  Anything under, including this monitor with its DP version 1.2 does not support HDR.  HDR does work over HDMI however, I tested it and it works.  In my case, with my Nvidia graphics card, I lost Free Sync.  But an AMD card will still work with Free Sync over HDMI in addition to HDR.
  • EnragedN3wb
    EnragedN3wb Member Posts: 3 New User
    My KG281K doesn't even show the HDR option in the mode menu on the display no matter which input type I use... The option isn't greyed out or anything, it's just not even there.

Wtf?
  • Sk8
    Sk8 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My KG281K doesn't even show the HDR option in the mode menu on the display no matter which input type I use... The option isn't greyed out or anything, it's just not even there.

Wtf?
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM 
    -The problem is not solved in our case, I have an Nvdia gtx 1050 and I am using my HDMI port as well. 
    I managed to get HDR on my ps pro but somehow my pc cannot pick it up? The 1050 should be capable of hdr. 
  • cerealkeller
    Do you know how to enable HDR in Windows?  If you right click on desktop and go to display settings, it may say something else I’m not at my computer.  And scroll down, there should be an option to enable HDR.  If it’s not there I would try using an HD TV resolution instead of a PC resolution in the Nvidia control panel.  Go to color settings in Nvidia control panel and select the options manually instead of Nvidia recommended.  Highest available bit rate is important, RGB color mode, I’d try full color setting first if that’s available.  Then see if HDR is an option in the windows display settings.  If you have any other displays connected, disconnect them first.  If none of this works I’m not sure, update driver, maybe uninstall Nvidia drivers and software then run DDU in safe mode, then reinstall drivers normally.
  • EnragedN3wb
    edited December 2020
    The option is there in windows but it says the display is not HDR compatible, & cannot be turned on. AFAIK it has to be enabled on the monitor for windows to detect it, but the option is completely missing from the monitor's settings
  • EnragedN3wb
    edited January 2021
    So I may have finally figured this out when I was looking at AMD's freesync monitor list to replace one of my other monitors that is starting to die on me(having trouble turning on sometimes)...

It seems there are 2 versions of the KG281K, & only one of them has HDR support... Since there is effectively NO WAY to tell them apart until you have it, I find this to be EXTREMELY off-putting for Acer products. I'll definitely be thinking twice before I buy in the future knowing the spec sheet for an acer product may not be accurate, even when the model number lines up perfectly!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    There are actually usually several versions in each model series. You need to look at the full model number, not just the series number, in order to see what the true specs are. I believe in the USA the only version available is a KG281K bmiipx, in other countries there are other options.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.