My thread about my Acer power supply not working disappeared!

mileena
mileena Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hi, I have an Acer ATC 605 UR2D desktop running Windows 7 Home with 12 GB RAM and a Core i-7. All original Acer parts. It was bought new in December 2014.

Recently there has been this hideous, deafening noise coming from the computer, as loud as a smoke alarm going off. Something is seriously wrong, and I worry neighbors will knock on the door since it is so loud. It happens after the computer has been on for a day or so, and starts all of a sudden, like an alarm going off. When I shut it down via Windows and the monitors goes blank, the computer (the lights and USB hub) remains on until I press and hold the power button. I opened the case and think the noise is coming from the power supply, as when I press down on the power supply, it lessens the noise. Also, the USB hub I use has it owns power adapter, so it is not draining the computer's power supply.

And when I turn the computer back on right after, the noise is stopped, but the computer does a disk check for damage.

There are no loose screws and the fan is pretty clean.

The noise has gotten progressively worse over the past 6 months. It used to happen only when it was 60 degrees or less inside and lasted only 15 minute before stopping by itself. Now anything goes. My programs are also taking longer to respond, like they are sleeping. This was never the case before.

1. Is it the power supply?

2. If so, should I replace it or just buy a new computer?

3. If I replace it, should I get a higher capacity power supply?

4. Is there a video or manual that tells me how to replace this specific unit? The Acer manual is useless.

Here is a pic of the power supply:

Thanks!

Comments