Nitro 5 AN515-42 annoying flickering artifacts

Options
JODA
JODA Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi there!
Just bought this Nitro 5 laptop for my son.
After a couple of hours of use the screen starts to flicker badly.
The screen is totally useless when flickering.
Now I cant get rid of it... :-(:angry:

I have tried installing different versions of the AMD drivers to no avail, including the latest:
win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.6.1-june7.

The only way to get rid of this is to uninstall the AMD drivers.
With generic GPU driver it looks normal but lags when playing games.

Is there any solution to this problem or should I send it back to vendor?

Kind regards

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good night ***** !

What exact model of your laptop?
    What version of Windows?
    Did you use AMD software to remove the previous version of the driver completely before installing the new one?
    Have you done the battery reset yet?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried installing amd driver version 19.6.1? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-6-1
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaClane
    Options

Have you tried installing amd driver version 19.6.1? https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-6-1

As stated in the post yes:

"I have tried installing different versions of the AMD drivers to no avail, including the latest:
    win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.6.1-june7."

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    MaClane, I'm not sure if it will solve its problem or not, but firmware version 1.10 updates something on the r7 card, see: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/7605?b=1
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JODA

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for your answers!

The point is: This laptop is totally new. The problem started after only two hours of use.

@egydiocoelho:
    I have tried installing different versions of the AMD drivers to no avail, including the latest:
    win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-19.6.1-june7.

@MaClane:
    What exact model of your laptop? >> Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8-AM (AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx)
    What version of Windows? The laptop is delivered with Windows 10 Home, version 1803
    Did you use AMD software to remove the previous version of the driver completely before installing the new one? >> Yes, I did.
    Have you done the battery reset yet? >> Yes, resetting the internal battery did not solve this problem.

I am not taking the risk with a firmware update. I think this totally new computer should work out of the box.
    If I can't find a reasonable fix to this problem in a couple of days I will return this new laptop to vendor and get my money back.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The latest versions of the amd drivers work best on the 1903 version of windows 10: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JODA

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok, but I also tried the version 17.40 downloaded from Acers website.
    It did not work either :-(

This seems like a dead end, too me. I have tried so many different drivers, but the problem must be elsewhere...

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried upgrading windows to version 1903 and then updating the amd drivers?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JODA

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks egydiocoelho!

I am updating to 1903 right now.
    Hope everything will work out well :-)
  • JODA

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi again...

Updated to windows 10 1903, cleared out the old AMD driver with AMD cleanup utility, reboot, turned off AV software, installed new AMD driver version 19.6.1, reboot...

Nothing has changed :-(
    Still annoying flickering artifacts.

I'm pulling my hair out now, this is unbelivable! I've spent 10 hours on trying to fix this...

Is there anything more I can do to solve this?

• MaClane
    Options
    Installing drivers approved by Acer does the problem persist?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• JODA

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes, MaClane.
    It's the same story with the driver provided by Acer.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same problem occur on an external monitor? Is there still time to replace the notebook with the reseller?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JODA

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    Options
    Yes, same problem with external monitor.

I will contact the reseller for replacement.

Thanks for your help!
    Best regards *****
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• MaClane
    Options
    Good afternoon!
    In this case the ideal is to change the device.
    Please tell us as soon as it's solved!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™