Acer Aspire E5-575 turns off at 55% battery power and won't turn on again unless plugged in

immuminati
immuminati Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So, as the title suggests, my Acer Aspire E5-575 laptop shuts off at 55% (when unplugged and on battery power) and won't turn before I plug it in. What should I do?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• immuminati
    JackE said:
    How old is the battery? Jack E/NJ
    About as old as this computer, 3 years.
  • JackE
    OK. Try this. Open the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then search for' battery-report.html' file in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• immuminati
    JackE said:
    OK. Try this. Open the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then search for' battery-report.html' file in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Design capacity is on the right side and full charge on the left side. What does this mean?
  • immuminati

Also this.
  • immuminati
    Oh and also the battery charges to 100% super slowly, it literally takes 2 days and I need to constantly unplug and plug the power cord.
  • JackE
    Your battery pack seems to have an internal short as well as lost more than half its capacity. It should be replaced. Google 'e5-575 battery' for vendors/seller that are convenient for you to order from. Amazon UK and CentralPoint NL/BE should have them ~€30. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ecbino
    ecbino Member Posts: 1 New User
    JackE said:
    Your battery pack seems to have an internal short as well as lost more than half its capacity. It should be replaced. Google 'e5-575 battery' for vendors/seller that are convenient for you to order from. Amazon UK and CentralPoint NL/BE should have them ~€30. Jack E/NJ
    My Acer is showing almost identical symptoms. Do you mind commenting on my battery reports? Thanks in advance.

• JackE

Either your internal battery regulator/capacity monitor or Windows battery capacity monitor are inaccurate or variable. Open DeviceManager. Click 'battery' folder. Right click and uninstall all drivers that you find in the batteries folder. Exit DeviceManager without reinstalling anything. Shut Windows off normally. Turn machine back on. If problem persists, you probably need a new battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ