Acer Predator Orion 3000 with RTX-2070 Power supply?

Rribeiro
Rribeiro Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I recently purchased the Orion 3000 with the RTX-2070 8gb + i7-8700 + 16gb RAM. 
I couldn’t find any information about which power supply it came with, but I guess it is a 500w. So now I am wondering if it is okay running all this spec with a 500w PSU only? Should I upgrade it? If so, which model I would buy (and which size fits in that case)?

Also, does anybody know the motherboard model this pc comes with?

Thank you. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I believe it to be a standard sized ATX supply. If you look at the back of your machine you can see the normal four mounting screws that don't quite form a rectangle. The case is sized right to fit that form factor, so you should be able to choose just about any supply and it will fit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Rribeiro

Tinkerer

Any* 
    sorry for the typo. 
  • Rribeiro

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey, thanks for your help.
    Do you know if there is any size limit for the PSU considering this PC has a small-sized case?
    Any specifications that I have to pay attention when buying a new PSU?

Thank you.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I believe it to be a standard sized ATX supply. If you look at the back of your machine you can see the normal four mounting screws that don't quite form a rectangle. The case is sized right to fit that form factor, so you should be able to choose just about any supply and it will fit.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rribeiro

Tinkerer

Awesome, thanks again!
  • OpaqueGorgon57
    OpaqueGorgon57 Member Posts: 9 New User
    edited January 2020
    billsey said:
    It looks like, so far anyway, they've only shipped 500W supplies with the PO3-600 models. It's a pretty standard ATX form factor power supply, so if you needed to replace it there are lots of models to choose from. That being said, 500W is plenty for your system. If you make many changes that would affect power consumption, such as bumping the memory up to the max, it'd safest to go ahead and bump it to a 650 or 750W supply.
    The motherboard is an Acer custom. They typically don't buy off the shelf for their models, so no Intel part number as some other manufacturers do.
    Do you think the standard power supply will be good enough for RTX 2080 or do I need to change it? I bought my Orion 3000 on the Acer website and it came with a 500w power supply, but I read that you need at least 650w. So why do they put a 500w in the desktop even though the RTX 2080 needs at least 650w?
  • OpaqueGorgon57
    billsey said:
    It looks like, so far anyway, they've only shipped 500W supplies with the PO3-600 models. It's a pretty standard ATX form factor power supply, so if you needed to replace it there are lots of models to choose from. That being said, 500W is plenty for your system. If you make many changes that would affect power consumption, such as bumping the memory up to the max, it'd safest to go ahead and bump it to a 650 or 750W supply.
    The motherboard is an Acer custom. They typically don't buy off the shelf for their models, so no Intel part number as some other manufacturers do.
    Do you think the standard power supply will be good enough for RTX 2080?
  • billsey
    NVIDIA says the RTX 2080 needs 215-225W for just the card, and recommends 650W for the system power. That's up from the needs for the 2070 version. It might work with just 500W, but I'd expect to see failures at full workload which would likely just look like crashes from your end. It's better to upgrade the PSU to what NVIDIA wants.
  • OpaqueGorgon57
    billsey said:
    NVIDIA says the RTX 2080 needs 215-225W for just the card, and recommends 650W for the system power. That's up from the needs for the 2070 version. It might work with just 500W, but I'd expect to see failures at full workload which would likely just look like crashes from your end. It's better to upgrade the PSU to what NVIDIA wants.
    How can I upgrade the PSU in the Orion 3000 P03-600? I paid a good amount of money and I really don’t want to mess anything up. 
  • billsey
    The Orion 3000 (PO3-600, not P03-600) uses a standard ATX style power supply, so you have about a bazillion choices as alternates to the stock supply. :) A PSU swap is pretty basic, though it does mean disconnecting and reconnecting all the power wires. If you are uncomfortable with that level of 'hands on' talk to your local technicians, any competent ones can do this type of upgrade in their sleep. :)