How can i disable Secure Boot in the BIOS settings??

DebHerc
DebHerc Member Posts: 2 New User
When I enter the BIOS settings, secure boot is unavailable to choose (it's in grey colour). So i ain't able to change the secure boot option. Pls help.

Answers

• DebHerc
    DebHerc Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited June 2019
    Btw I have an Acer Aspire E 15
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Go to Security tab in BIOS screen, create a Supervisor password and write it down or set an easier one to remember, then you can go to Boot tab and disable Secure boot.
    1. Go to Security tab, click Enter for Supervisor password, then enter a new PW, write it down.
    2. Go to Boot tab and disable Secure boot.
    Don't forget to enable the secure boot and change the password to blank.

• Chantelle1890
    Chantelle1890 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi is there any one who can help me with this. I just got my PC tower last week but have been unable to disable the UEFI. I have done everything I can. I will put the screen shots up now ro see if anyone can help me please.

I would be very grateful for anyone's help with this matter.

• wascas
    wascas Member Posts: 1,194 High-End Contributor WiFi Icon

Chantelle1890 ,

do you mean that you want to enable/disable secure boot? To do this, go into the BIOS, select tab "Security" and set a supervisor password. Please remember this password, because if you forget it, you will no longer be able to access the BIOS! Save with F10. Then seurce boot should be changeable.

• Chantelle1890

Wascas

I have done that in the BIOS menu. I have disabled it as I don't use windows. I want to put Linux on it but to put Linux on it o need to disable the UEFI so that I can put, Linux on it. But I can't change it to be able to put Linux on. As I need to have the UEFI off and be able to change it to legacy and only then will I be able to put Linux on.

• wascas

Chantelle1890,

unfortunately i can't help you with your linux problem. So it's best to open a new thread and ask your question there. Then another forum member could answer.

• wascas
    edited February 2023

I just read that Intel has removed legathy BIOS support from UEFI in 2020. So it's not possible to change UEFI to legathy in newer motherboards.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12068/intel-to-remove-bios-support-from-uefi-by-2020

https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-were-ending-all-legacy-bios-support-by-2020/

• Chantelle1890

Wascas,

Hi many thanks for giving me the links about this. Although I have managed to put Fedora, Xubuntu on it it is just that Debian won't go on it that is the one I want, to put on my PC but I will keep trying to find a way round it if I can. But thank you for replying to my query about the BIOS.