Acer Aspire E5-576G-5762 - No bootable device after installing Linux Mint 19

patrickfeeney
patrickfeeney Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi!
I wanted to try something different to Windows 10, so I opted for Linux Mint 19. I´ve performed succesfully various linux instalations but this time, after watching a partitions tutorial, after rebooting, the laptop (acer e5-576g-5762) gives me a message saying that there isnt a bootable device. I looked on the bios for enabling something, I dont remember what is was, but it didn´t allowed me. Also, on the boot "preferences" any disk appeared. What is happening? I can only use Windows? Thanks in advance

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    @patrickfeeney

You have to set a supervisor password and then add grubx64.efi to the trusted secure boot settings.  :)
    And then optionally, you use the F6 key to move linux to the top if you want grub to boot first (instead of windows)....as described below.  I say "optionally" because some people just continue to use the F12 boot menu when they want to run linux.

To dual boot windows and Ubuntu/Mint, this is the sequence that most people follow:

1. Create Ubuntu or MInt USB media with rufus----rufus settings: UEFI,GPT,FAT32
    2. Go in to Windows Disk Management and shrink your C drive by at least 35 GB
    3. Create a supervisor password (in the BIOS settings)
    4. Disable secure boot and enable the F12 boot menu
    5. Install Ubuntu or Mint along side Windows
    6. Go back in to BIOS settings and re-enable secure boot and add grubx64.efi to trusted secure boot settings and save/exit
    7. and then go back in to BIOS settings and Use the F6 key to move linux to top (in the boot tab) so grub boots first.

(make sure you backup important personal files and create an Acer USB recovery drive before attempting anything I wrote)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Daljeet
    Daljeet Member Posts: 4 New User
    Please help with this error i'm getting every time. I have backbox install, to use laptop i need to load default bios conf everytime without doing this getting this error.
  • patrickfeeney
    patrickfeeney Member Posts: 60 Troubleshooter
    I used other usb and that worked