Screen turns blue (not as it seems) (Acer Predator Z271)

Options
DannyDS
DannyDS Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi all,

This is my first time on the forums, bringing up an old, but still existing issue that has been with me over the last three years.

So, from the title... My screen turns blue...
It's hard to explain so I will add pictures at the bottom of this post.
After some time (varies) playing games, my Acer monitor turns blue. Once the first time happens, it becomes a lot more often (every 10 mins)

This seems to effect the darker shades on screen first, and as time goes on it effects more of the screen.
This is not just in game though, if I tab out, or close the game, everything has this shade present. Even the startup of the monitor (after powering on).
The only fix I have found for this is to disconnect the power to the monitor and plug back in (the ol' IT standard).
Nothing else has fixed this.

The monitor was sent to Acer for repair, in which they replaced the main board. Received it back three weeks later and believe it or not, still had the same issue.

I was in the process of sending it back a second time but didn't go through with it as I could not be left without a monitor. Although this is for my gaming system, I also complete a lot of work on it and could not go without.

It's been three years now, so i've done plenty of testing.
Originally this issue arose prominently on three games;
Battlefield 1
Rocket League
League of Legends.

After a while it stopped happening on Rocket league, don't know how or why but i'm not complaining.
I stopped playing league of legends and battlefield around this time too, but I've recently started playing LoL again.
This is the reason for the delay of multiple years.

As it happens with LoL the most, I tried a couple solutions;
tested with G-sync on and off (no effect)
Limited FPS to 240 in-game (no surprose, no effect)
Tried with V-sync on and that was a horrible experience. (Note to all, don't do that for LoL...)

Then I limited the game to 140fps... This is where it became a little more interesting.
Although the blue screen still occured, it was less effective. Don't have a picture of the difference but will share once I do.

So, any ideas folks? :)

I've looked and seen absolutely no trace of this issue online, may have missed it but don't think I have.

Regards,
Danny Segust

Answers

• DannyDS
    Options
    adding second Image
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    How is the monitor connected to the computer? HDMI, DP, VGA, DVI? Any chance the cable is just either getting loose slightly or might have internal wiring issues? Can you try a different cable or port?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DannyDS
    Options
    Thanks for responding.
    Haven't had the time to check another display port from the graphics card, done that now and will report back.

As for the questions;
    DP connection
    No chance of it being a loose cable as i've reconnected on both ends a bunch of times over three years.
    Different cables have been used also.
  • inimicalele
    inimicalele Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Old thread but i've been having this issue since purchase, too. I have an acer predator. Only fix like Danny mentioned was to power cycle, i think this is just a permanent kink of the monitor. Nonetheless i really do hope there's a fix lying around somewhere :)
  • TrojanRanson
    TrojanRanson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello. Change the power supply.
    Today I replaced it with another one from a laptop. 19V 4.7A
    this fixed it for me

• TrojanRanson
    TrojanRanson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

The same thing happened, but much less often, perhaps you need a power supply with more power 4.7 A -> 7.1 A