Aspire TC-885 I7518 - has 100 Mbps instead of 1Gb?

FamDa
FamDa Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Just bought this desktop last week. Felt the PC was slow in downloading compared to my work laptop next to it. According to the specs on the Acer website it should be equipped with Gigabit Ethernet. When I check the properties of the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller it shows 100 Mbps only. Consequently my Acer shows a download speed of 95 Mbps and my laptop 248 Mbps on the same internet connection. Via WiFi my laptop is even faster?!

Already;
- checked update for driver: have the latest version
- checked for Win10 updates: all updates are installed
- repaired using the above pack
- uninstalled device (including removal of drivers) and then restart so Win10 can install drivers

It seems to me it is a hardware failure the card is not 1GB it is a 100 Mbps version. I enjoyed the PC and the SSD, especially compared the steamboat it replaced. But I feel mislead by the company that sold me this PC as it seems to have 100 Mbps only instead of the specified 1GB. Is this a hardware restriction (how can I check) or is it caused by the wrong driver?

Any suggestions?

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night FamDa !

Have you checked on your router if the outgoing port is / 1000?
    Are you using a Cat6 UTP cable for gigabit transmissions?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• FamDa
    FamDa Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi MaClane, thanks for your response.
    Yes, router pushes out up to 250 (my internet subscription). I used the same cable for both the Acer and my laptop.