Change HDD to SSD on sf315-52g

Eozen355
Eozen355 Member Posts: 27

Tinkerer

Sorry for my very  bad english, i am french
I have a SWIFT 3 SF315-52G with a M2 SATA 118GB drive and  1TB HDD SATA3 drive.
I tried to change both but it seems impossible...
When i try to install 1TB SSD drive (M2 OR SATA 3 HDD),  the laptop hang on ACER logo... I can't reach BIOS.
ACER doesn't want to help me for that...
Searches on internet seem to show that a bug appeared after the 1.04 bios, preventing any installation of SSD greater than 512TB, either on the M2 port or the SATA port.

Best Answer

• Manfred28
    Manfred28 Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

@Alex0815

The 1TB 970 EVO will work, for sure. I had exactly the same problem with my newly purchased SF315-52G. Swapping
    the original 256GB M.2 SSD against any M.2 SATA SSD failed, Samsung 860 EVO, Crucial MX500, WD Green SSD, none
    of them worked, always freeze at the bios logo.

I havnt figured out why, but the Swift 3 doesnt like SATA SSDs. But you can use any NVME SSD, Samsung 970 EVO,
    Crucial P1, etc. will work, regardless of the size.

mfg Ronny

Answers

• have you tried upgrading the uefi firmware to the latest version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Eozen355

Tinkerer

Yes, i have 1.08 version. 
  • I'm not sure, but I think this model does not support ssd m2 of 1tb!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Eozen355

Tinkerer

I have same problem with SATA 3 HDD.. 
  • Have you tried changing the sata mode option to ahci?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

Yes i tried all options 
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

No, i don't have  memory optane. It's a model with ssd 118GB.
  • have you tried disconnecting the hd and leaving only the ssd installed on the motherboard? After doing so, try resetting the internal battery:
    https://youtu.be/NfhgnxUJoZo

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

I tried with only M2, only HDD, both. I have already tried to reset battery: same problem... 
  • When you change the boomode to legacy, does the same problem occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

Legacy is not available.
  • To enable legacy mode, you must create a password in setsupervisorpassword. Also, disable the secureboot too!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    It is already done. Legacy is not available. 

• When you said "Searches on the Internet seem to show that a bug appeared after the 1.04 bios, preventing any installation of SSD greater than 512TB, either on the M2 port or the SATA port," I believe you were referring to those topics :
    However, note that the ssds m2 of 512gb are correctly recognized in the bios. The problem, was that the user was not cloning successfully! I really think your model does not support a ssd m2 of 1tb! Can you trade for a 512GB?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    I dont try to change M2 ssd, i am trying  to change SATA 3 1TB HDD  for 1TB ssd. And the problem is the same: hang on acer logo. 
    SATA 3 is .... SATA 3. If recent hardware doesn't support 1TB SATA 3 ssd ssd  they shouldn't sell hardware with this information...  
  • What is the exact model of 1tb ssd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

Crucial MX500 1TB
  • Do you have how to connect this ssd to another notebook or desktop and update the firmware? https://assets.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/drivers/storage-executive-win-64.zip

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Eozen355

Tinkerer

I will try tomorrow because i am not at Home. Thanks for your help !