Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

G5-793 keeps restarting w/Nvidia update

kaedeekaedee Posts: 13Member

Tinkerer

Hello All;

I am trouble with my Predator 17 G5-793 laptop, it seems that installing the latest Nvidia drivers causes my laptop to restart by itself. I cannot determine under what circumstances the restart occurs but I suspect that it happens when the laptop tries to enter sleep or hibernate mode. I have contacted Nvidia and they suggested that I update the BIOS and Intel chipset. The Bios update worked successfully but launching the Intel chipset update just results in the Windows 10 prompt asking me if I want to run the app but nothing happens after I click proceed/yes/etc.

I had previously contacted Microsoft and they uninstalled the latest Nvidia update and that seemed to resolve the problem a couple of months ago. 

Recently, Nvidia again prompted me to update to the latest drivers, which I did and the problems started to occur once again. If I remove the Nvidia GeForce Experience app and use the default Microsoft default graphics driver, the laptop behaves properly - all programs are left running intact and I can resume where I left off. I even tried to install the previous version of the Nvidia app/driver and that is causing the restart to occur.

Nothing is wrong with the laptop nor the Nvidia drivers, its just frustrating to have to relaunch all my apps if I step away from the laptop for extended periods.

Any ideas?

Kaedee

FAQ & Answers

• OGMikeOGMike Posts: 123Member Die Hard
    Have you tried manually installing hte drivers directly from the Nvidia site?

• kaedeekaedee Posts: 13Member

Tinkerer

Yes I did, Nvidia even gave me the older version and I just installed that without the GeForce experience app and now it freezes when the screensaver/sleep mode kicks in
    You may havve to back up your files and then restore the laptop, back to its last working state

Tinkerer

I do have a restore point created before the latest update that was working but I was hoping to try and get this working with the latest drivers
    Also have you turned off sleep/hibernation mode? If not, go into you power options and do so.

@kaedee look into your reliability monitor and see what’s going on, I looked in mine and saw something about my Nvidia drivers so I’m going to try and go back to an older more stable version after a fresh install of windows for the millionth time and try mine out.

Tinkerer

@OGMike how do I get to the reliability monitor and what did you see that lead you to reinstall windows?
    @kaedee it is a software that comes factory with Windows, go into search bar for Windows and just search it, mine showed something about drivers, I don’t remember exactly, so I reinstalled so I would have a fully clean and fresh install to get rid of any bad drivers, also I was recommended to do that by a few on other forums, if you do so, backup any personal files onto a seperate drive, if you can. I haven’t been able to test mine out since I did it, but it’s worth a shot.

Tinkerer

@OGMike I just read the report and it shows alot of blue screens of death since installing the Nvidia drivers, probably need to reset the laptop.

Side question, I have a separate D drive which houses all of my documents, will resetting the predator also reset the d drive? I mean I should get a backup done before I reset but just asking
    @kaedee I’m pretty sure there is an option to only restore the drive that has windows on it, I could be wrong but I too have a second drive in one of my laptops and I’m pretty sure it gave me that option.
    @kaedee any luck?

Tinkerer

@OGMike I haven't tried yet, gonna do a data backup first even though everything i read on the web says the same as you suggested abpve (you get to choose which drive to reset).

probably tomorrow, was watching the nba game
    @kaedee okay, update me when you can

Tinkerer

@OGMike no news to update, I have contacted nvidia, microsoft and now acer technical support. No one can pinpoint any definitive problems or solutions and the laptop keeps BSODing and restarting. I have run the recovery and now Acer wants me to install a fresh copy of windows after formatting my c drive which I will do once I can locate a 16gb usb drive.

I'll keep you posted
    @kaedee okay, good luck, also I cant remember if i told you, but what helped my PH315-51 is a microsoft tech support agent went into mine and installed some drivers and havnt had any issues since other than freezing, but i uninstalled the drivers an reinstalled them through windows update and no problems so far