Cam issues Aspire E5-522-89W6

Vandross
Vandross Member Posts: 9 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
My camera stopped working on my Aspire E5-522-89W6 Notebook,   I go onto skype and it shows that i have no camera,  I look in the actual information for this model on the acer care center and it doesn't even show a cam as a built in device...   how do i fix this...   when i try to use the cam it shows the little light on the front  but get no picture

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager.
    (1) Do you see any red or yellow warnings?
    (2) Do you see anything listed in the Imaging Devices folder?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Vandross
    edited June 2019
    no flags at all of any color in the device manager,   where would i locate the Imaging devices file?,   when i go in and attempt to upgrade the drivers it tells me that they are all up to date,  even though the latest drivers are showing 2006..   which is funny since i bought the laptop new two years ago

• JackE
    Open Device Manager. That's where the Imaging Device folder should listed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Vandross
    ok here is what shows...

• JackE
    >>>when i try to use the cam it shows the little light on the front  but get no picture>>>

Cam hardware and its 2006 Microsoft driver looks good and as it should be. Something's happened to your Skype software. Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point'. Click 'system restore' button. Click 'next'. Do you see an automatic restore point with a date/stamp that's around the time you lost the cam? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Vandross
    no there are no previous restore points

• JackE
    Test webcam separately with the cam app, not Skype. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Samy01
    Samy01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Check the post suggestions in the archive link for the stated pointers helped me with an older Acer Aspire E1-571 today (2019) and can do the same for more current other models.
    Located in Device Manager, apparently the Webcam driver, speaking for built-in cams alike, is linked to the (usb -located at the bottom) Universal Serial Bus controller drivers, when something is off-kilter with one of them webcam driver/ aslo shown as "Imaging devices" is affected.
    The archive states disabling the webcam driver if not missing and/or both "USB Root Hub" drivers (by expanding usb controllers), rebooting and then re-enabling them followed by Action>Scan for hardware changes and usually followed by automatic internet scan for update, reboot again.

In my particular case: the two "Generic USB Hubs" showed a flag symbol, so I used my installed Pro driver updater to "fix or repair" that issue. Then followed up after in Device manager with highlighting the Generic USBs and doing the Action>Scan for hardware changes and reboot. Suddenly the "Cameras" driver was reinstated (missing b4) and that legacy Crystal Eye Webcam app was back too.
    Hope a version of these steps work for you!

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/93589/crystal-eye-webcam-not-working#latest
  • JackE
    Thank you for your report. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Vandross
    edited June 2019
    I have tried all that was suggested and all i get is a black screen when i bring up the cam,   I have even gone into the app itself and reset the cam as instructed by Microsoft advisors..   this hasn't helped either...   one suggested that i go in and uninstall the cam's drivers, but I do not know how to do that... the only thing i see as far as uninstalling is the device itself

• Vandross
    5. Uninstall your webcam driver and scan for hardware changes
    1. In Device Manager, press and hold (or right-click) your webcam, and then select Properties.
    2. Select the Driver tab, select Uninstall > Delete the driver software for this device, and then select OK.
    3. In Device Manager, on the Action menu, select Scan for hardware changes. Wait for it to scan and reinstall updated drivers, restart your PC, and then try opening the Camera app again.
    4. If your webcam still doesn’t work, look for help on your webcam company’s website. 
    5. so which do i choose?

• JackE
    Uninstall the device driver! Then exit Device Manager without trying to reinstall anything. Reboot and let Windows try to re-detect the cam and re-install the driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Vandross
    ok thats my issue,   I see uninstall the device... not the device driver
  • JackE
    Semantics. Uninstall the device. The only way you can uninstall a piece of hardware is to open up the laptop and physically remove it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ