How to tell what type of problem I have screen or card

happygrits12
happygrits12 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
This may be a weird question but this is what happened.  I was online using Chrome and I enabled Adobe Flash on a site which is a daily event.  But this time I noticed a little round thing in the upper right hand corner of the URL and when I clicked on it, it said that an extension was blocked although it wasn't named.  I clicked on that circle and immediately my screen became much lighter in appearance as if a very thin white veil is over it.  

I tried working within the graphics [Intel Graphics inc. Media Control Panel] and reset the specs trying to make it darker so that I could see better.  It has helped slightly but I'm not sure this is what the problem is.  Maybe it was a coincidence and the screen is going, I'm not sure.
Also, I searched Chrome settings, help menus to find an answer to my problem but was unsuccessful.  Wanted to uninstall Adobe Flash without success on how to accomplish this.

When checking my devices, they are all working properly and no problems were found.
I really don't know where to go from here.

Also, my original Acer hard drive was replaced under warranty because of a failed update in windows 10.  When I got my laptop back, there were no ACER original OS on it so what I have is Microsoft 8 which I updated to 8.1.  All other hardware is the original and working great except that my screen is messed up.

How can I find what the problem is?  Please help, this laptop is my connection to the world.
Thank you very much.

V3-731 B9604G50Maii  is the heading of the information sheet from Acer.com

Best Answers

• happygrits12

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I used the HDMI and can see perfectly, will be getting new screen.  thanks for your help.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK. Thanks for reporting back. Your professional probably called it the LCD or liquid crystal display. Good luck with the repair. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    How does a TV screen look via the HDMI port? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• happygrits12

Tinkerer

not connected to tv, no HDMI cable
  • happygrits12

Tinkerer

I guess this would help determine if it's the screen or card, right?

• JackE
    Yes. HDMI cables are sold just about everywhere nowadays. Less than $10 for a 6-footer. Another way might be to shut the machine completely off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Does the screen still look washed out? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• happygrits12

Tinkerer

Right now I'm not able to purchase a HDMI cable but may borrow one so that I can know what the problem is.  The laptop has been totally shut down and turned on again, nothing changed.
    Not sure about the BIOS menu and why I should get into it as there was not a reason listed in your reply.  
    Yes, the screen is still washed out.
  • JackE
    If the screen is still washed out in the BIOS menu, it's most likely the screen itself or its video ribbon cable connection to the mainboard. If you have a habit of opening and closing the lid a lot or every time you step away from the machine, the cable is suspect since it usually fails in the hinge area due to too much flexing from overuse. If an HDMI TV screen is OK, then it definitely would rule out the graphic adapter as the problem. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• happygrits12

Tinkerer

F2 revealed the same washout.  I will get access to the HDMI cable and go that route.  I appreciate your explanation and will get back when I have finished with the HDMI test.
  • happygrits12

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    I used the HDMI and can see perfectly, will be getting new screen.  thanks for your help.
  • JackE
    Hold on! No so fast. It may simply be a faulty video ribbon cable or connectors from opening and closing the lid too much, not the screen itself. Its connectors may need to be re-seated on the screen and mainboard. They're much cheaper than a new screen. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ACER-Aspire-V3-731-V3-731G-V3-771-V3-771G-LCD-40PIN-LVDS-Video-Cable/254276375871?hash=item3b340d953f:g:g8MAAOSwFpddExZ~
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• happygrits12

Tinkerer

Jack E/NJ,  I've decided to take it to a professional, I'm not familiar with laptops and don't have the dexterity to work on the small parts.  He told me it is the screen (although he called it something else) and has ordered through ACER.  He likes and recommends ACER computers.  Thanks for all your input and suggestions.  God bless, Pegi
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OK. Thanks for reporting back. Your professional probably called it the LCD or liquid crystal display. Good luck with the repair. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ