M.2 NVMe SSD clone ...

Options
PoppaJim
PoppaJim Member Posts: 105 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Acer Nitro 5 model 515 - 53 has 1 M.2 slot and came from the factory with the 256gb NVMe SSD and no sata Drive and it is sporting these stock Windows 10 home 64-bit Edition.
I want to clone that drive to one terabyte M.2 NVMe SSD for upgrade purposes.
is there a preferred cloning software / procedure for accomplishing this with only one M.2 drive?

I should note that this is a brand new machine and still has less than 60 GB of used space on the existing Drive because I wanted fully configured prior to actually putting it into service!

Best Answer

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can use the minitool partition program, see:
    It is necessary to clone all these partitions:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • PoppaJim
    Options
    Yeah unfortunately that process won't work when you are trying to clone from one M.2 NVMe Drive to another M.2 NVMe Drive  because there is only one available M.2 slot in the computer to connect to.
    I do have an external enclosure and I attempted to do it that way once and it failed horribly!
  • Benman2785
    Benman2785 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    you need a mobo or controller card with 2 NVMe slots
    you put your 256GB and 1tb in
    you simply clone it with one cloning tool your new 1tb ssd comes with
    done

you CANT do that on your laptop - it only has 1 NVMe slot
  • PoppaJim
    Options
    you need a mobo or controller card with 2 NVMe slots
    you put your 256GB and 1tb in
    you simply clone it with one cloning tool your new 1tb ssd comes with
    done

you CANT do that on your laptop - it only has 1 NVMe slot
    Yeah well the new SSD drive did not come with any kind of cloning tool and the one that they point to on their website is the one that almost crashed my computer... However there has to be some way to do it.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can also clone the old ssd to a 2.5 "hd and then clone the hdd to the new ssd!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • PoppaJim
    Options
    You can also clone the old ssd to a 2.5 "hd and then clone the hdd to the new ssd!
    That's a possibility I probably got to Mechanical hard drive that will fit in that bay that's large enough capacity to hold that cloned image... I'm not sure what the best software would be to do it with.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Minitool partition, macrium reflects or renee becca!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• PoppaJim
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Here is what I finally got to work for me:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/569061/solution-upgrading-the-m-2-nvme-ssd-on-the-acer-nitro-5-515-53-with-only-1-m-2-slot#latest