Iconia A1-811: Charging/powering tablet while using OTG

Options
Esinem
Esinem Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
I want to charge, or at least maintain  charge, on my A1-811 whilst using it as an external monitor/controller with a camera (DSLR Controller app). Is this possible? If so, exactly what cable is required (link, brand/model)?

Thanks

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi @Esinem,

I did a surfing through Internet and found this video link which explains about charging & using OTG at Same Time in Tablet Pc. Have a look and I am not sure will it be useful. Try the instruction at your own risk. If your device is under warranty, do not try making any changes to device and that might void warranty. By the way, I couldn't find any dual cable through which you can charge & use OTG device at the same time. Also have a look to this thread.

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Esinem
    Options
    Balatekie Hey, thanks. It sounds like we both visited similar links but thanks for your efforts. It does seem like there's no off the shelf solution from the that thread. Not one that does both at the same time at any rate. Found lots of kit to charge multiple items or to run multiple USB devices but nothing I can be sure will do what I want.

The external board suggests that the micro USB might be one-way at a time for passing current? I know nothing of that technical side, it's merely supposition. The added charger board could be the only option. My tablet is well out of warranty. I'd do it if I could avoid the ugly and vulnerable externals but doubt there's room inside for even a plug to add it in a removable external box. 

It would be great if there is some easy way. I posted this in the hope that somebody had already invented this particular wheel. I can't be the first to fact this problem. 

I have a feelingyou have answered this question but hope you don't mind if I 
  • Esinem
    Options
    The good news is that there does seem enough room spare inside to add a small connector. Have ordered a board and 3.5mm DC connector all for less than a fiver. So, my plan is to wire the battery to the female 3.5mm connector and mount that inside. My board can be in a project case and plug in. Let's hope I don't fry it :-D

Come to think of it, could I have just wired it to a lithium battery charger without any charger module? Best stick to tried and tested...