PCIe NVMe options for (8 core Ryzen) Predator 500 - Thank you!

Options
Poor_Bear
Poor_Bear Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all, I am looking at taking the websites advice on my predator 500 Ryzen (8 core) setup and getting an additional PCIe NVMe 250-1tb for that empty slot. I was looking at setting it up in Raid 0 to help with my video editing process (playback, etc). So in Raid 0, do both of my PCIe NVMe drives have to be matching? Or, is it worth it to buy a 1tb PCIe? I am just looking at my fastest options to help with video editing in general. (also, the 250 gb it comes with is not enough for my workflow). What are your recommendations?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If it was mine, I'd leave the 256GB alone as the boot drive. Then simply add a 2tb NVME to the other slot.  That way, I'd wind up with a total of 2.5tb storage (instead of only 2tb with two separate 1tb nvme cards) and I wouldn't have to fuss with cloning the 256GB on another 1tb drive. I'd probably go for something like this 2tb Samsung  970 https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-2TB-MZ-V7E2T0BW/dp/B07C8Y31G1 
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Sorry, the free m.2 slot is SATA3 only. RAID0 can be a nightmare to either make, break or mod. If possible, please post a screenshot of your BIOS info tab setup that you've got in there now. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Poor_Bear
    Options

@JackE
    Thank you for your help!!!
  • JackE
    Options
    Hmmmm? Doesn't look like the BIOS info tab? Looks more like msinfo32? Try to F2 into the BIOS menu on boot. Then what do you see in the BIOS info tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Poor_Bear
    Options

Any of the above? @JackE

I tried looking through my system information but couldn't really identify the hardware that you might need.

Ideas?
  • JackE
    Options
    No, that's still not the BIOS menu.  Shut the machine completely. Then turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Don't wait for the ACER boot logo or Windows to load. You must immediately start tapping the F2 after turning the machine on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Poor_Bear
    Options

@JackE

This it?
  • JackE
    Options
    Yep. That's it. You have a dinky 256GB nvme in there now. And yes it's definitely worth adding a 1tb nvme --- you've got two slots! Not worth struggling to implement a RAID with that machine's capability. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Poor_Bear
    Options
    Awesome, I’m going to move ahead with purchase then. Does that mean I should grab 2x 1tb pcie nvme then? Are there any particular models I should look at @JackE I appreciate any recommendations or research leads you could give me. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If it was mine, I'd leave the 256GB alone as the boot drive. Then simply add a 2tb NVME to the other slot.  That way, I'd wind up with a total of 2.5tb storage (instead of only 2tb with two separate 1tb nvme cards) and I wouldn't have to fuss with cloning the 256GB on another 1tb drive. I'd probably go for something like this 2tb Samsung  970 https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-2TB-MZ-V7E2T0BW/dp/B07C8Y31G1 
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Poor_Bear
    Options
    @JackE
    Thank you for all your help! I will let you know how it goes once I am able to make the purchase!
  • JackE
    Options
    Good luck. The longer you can hold off, the less the price will likely be.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ