Acer TravelMate Spin B1 - Linux support

J4KLO
J4KLO Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey there,

I'd like to buy an Acer TravelMate B118-G2-RN-P42M.
Is it possible to boot a linux based os? Does anybody has experience with it?

Kind regards

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Yes, probably best and easiest to install something like a default LinuxMint installation in dual boot mode. Mint Cinnamon can be set up with almost same look, feel and function of Win7 only faster. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning J4KLO !

There is no impediment to installing a Linux distribution on your device.
    If you have knowledge in distributions there will be no surprises.
    If you're unfamiliar, I advise you to choose a more "standard" version like Ubuntu.
    Remember that all current distributions can be installed in UEFi mode.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• J4KLO
    J4KLO Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi,

thanks for your fast reply. So it would be as easy as on other notebooks: Disable secure boot (I think this should be possible) and boot whatever you want? 

I'm asking because I've seen many more cheaper models from other vendors which have looked down their UEFI. 

Does this only apply for the newest models of the Acer TravelMate Spin B1 or is this also possible on older devices on this series? 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Follow the directions on this link.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047 UEFI only from a GPT installation stick to a GPT HDD. Don't try to install Linux in Legacy mode if the mode available or the GPT disk and its hidden recovery partition will get messed up.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ