S273HL and Sound With HDMI?

whitedavidp
whitedavidp Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
Until now, I have been using my S273HL monitor with a VGA connection and an analog audio cable. This worked well enough. But circumstances are forcing me off VGA and onto HDMI using a DVI->HDMI adapter on my PC. Of course, the DVI output sent over HDMI carries no audio signal. I still have the analog audio plugged in as before. But no matter what I do, I can hear no sound. Is the S273HL simply always assuming that any sound, when plugged in via HDMI will come across the HDMI cable? Is there anyway to force the S273HL to use the analog sound input instead of HDMI? Thanks

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Until now, I have been using my S273HL monitor with a VGA connection and an analog audio cable. This worked well enough. But circumstances are forcing me off VGA and onto HDMI using a DVI->HDMI adapter on my PC. Of course, the DVI output sent over HDMI carries no audio signal. I still have the analog audio plugged in as before. But no matter what I do, I can hear no sound. Is the S273HL simply always assuming that any sound, when plugged in via HDMI will come across the HDMI cable? Is there anyway to force the S273HL to use the analog sound input instead of HDMI? Thanks

In your windows OS. open control panel and click on hardware and sound > here click on sound settings > under playback check the list of speakers and select the Monitor speakers and set it as default. this would allow the audio to channel through audio cable. 

make sure to connect audio cable from your device to monitor.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • whitedavidp
    whitedavidp Member Posts: 2 New User
    Rudy21 said:
    In your windows OS. open control panel and click on hardware and sound > here click on sound settings > under playback check the list of speakers and select the Monitor speakers and set it as default. this would allow the audio to channel through audio cable. 

make sure to connect audio cable from your device to monitor.
    Thanks for this response. But these are not the problems nor do they address my questions: "Is the S273HL simply always assuming that any sound, when plugged in via HDMI will come across the HDMI cable? Is there anyway to force the S273HL to use the analog sound input instead of HDMI?"

In the meantime, I have had to conclude empirically that if connected to the monitor via HDMI, any sound MUST be provided via the HDMI connection and the analog signal is simply ignored. I guess this makes at least some sense.

With more research, I have found that on at least some DVI sound cards, audio can be passed over the DVI connection through an adapter into an HDMI cable to this monitor. I have empirically tested this. I have one nVidia card that does this seemingly automatically. I have another nVidia card for which I had to make a simple, 2-wire cable to run between the M/B SPDIF jumpers and a jumper on the video card. I have an ATI card which does not seem to work at all. But research has indicated that this is likely because ATI cards require an ATI-branded DVI->HDMI adapter in order to do this and I have been using a generic Amazon one so far. I have ordered an ATI adapter and will see how/if things change.

In all of these cases, you must go into the Windows Sound control panel and make sure that the proper playback source is selected.

I have found that the sound volume on this montior has been very low right from the start. Switching to digital audio from analog seems to have made this worse. After some research, I found that I could boost the volume using an equalizer program called PC Equalizer. It is free and made a significant difference.