Acer Predator G6-710, ssd not detected after motherboard damage. I am still able to get into bios.

Options
jonasogo
jonasogo Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
i have a  mib15l-sophiaB, 14069-1, 248.02e03.0011 motherboard.
i accidently hit my motherboard with my graphics card. now my ssd isn't being detected. 2 parts broke off the motherboard and another is damaged. now the pc is unable to detect the ssd but everything else seem fine. i can get into bios.

i have ordered a m.2 to sata adapter online for my ssd in hope of it being a solution.

Questions:
what are the damaged parts, and what do they do?
Is the damage going to affect anything else than the ssd?

Best Answer

• jonasogo
    Answer ✓
    Options
    UPDATE: I got a new sata ssd and I am using the cd-reader sata cable for the new ssd. I installed windows and everything seems to be working fine. I think the old ssd got shorted by the m.2 socket because of the motherboard damage, so i guess i will just avoid using the m.2 socket in the future.

Answers

• jonasogo
    edited May 2019
    Options
    note: the ssd is connected using the m.2 slot on the motherboard.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    You want to take a close look at the M.2 socket. if it looks like anything might have pulled up or got squashed you likely will want to find a good technician to either reflow the solder or replace the socket. I wouldn't think dropping the video card on it would cause a problem. It might have just come loose.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jonasogo
    edited May 2019
    Options
    billsey said:
    You want to take a close look at the M.2 socket. if it looks like anything might have pulled up or got squashed you likely will want to find a good technician to either reflow the solder or replace the socket. I wouldn't think dropping the video card on it would cause a problem. It might have just come loose.
    i dont think the m.2 socket got damaged. i hit the motherboard with the metal back of the graphics card (where all the ports are), and i am pretty sure the only thing that got hit is the motherboard. there is a chance that the ssd got hit, but i dont think so. the only obvious damage to the motherboard are the two small (resistors/grey and black squares?) that are missing (only found one of them) and that slightly bigger chip that got scratched. (dont know what it is)
    i just got a m.2 to SATA adapter that i will try later. 
    any help is appreciated.
  • jonasogo
    Options
    update: booting with the ssd in the m.2 to SATA adapter didn’t work. it is still not detecting the ssd, so i guess the ssd might have been damaged. dont know what if the motherboard damage is going to be a problem either.
  • jonasogo
    Options
    update: booted the computer with ubuntu on a usb and it worked. i think the ssd somehow got shorted. it doesnt look like there is any physical damage. either the adapter i bought doesnt work/isnt getting detected by the motherboard for some reason (which i doubt), or it seems like the m.2 socket shorted the ssd (i dont know if that is possible, maybe someone can confirm?) when i booted up the pc (before i realized the motherboard was damaged).

i think i am gonna end up buying a new sata ssd and avoid the m.2 socket in case it is shorted.

any thoughts or advice is apreciated. 
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options
    Hi jonasogo,

I am very sorry to hear this, if you require technical assistance, you can contact our toll-free technical support line at 33 70 20 70 or you can access the following link: https://www.acer.com/ac/da/DK/content/service-contact , where you can find the available technical support telephone numbers.

Best regards,
    Acer-Manny
  • jonasogo
    Answer ✓
    Options
    UPDATE: I got a new sata ssd and I am using the cd-reader sata cable for the new ssd. I installed windows and everything seems to be working fine. I think the old ssd got shorted by the m.2 socket because of the motherboard damage, so i guess i will just avoid using the m.2 socket in the future.