Linux Apollo Lake

o0slowpaul0o
o0slowpaul0o Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 20 in 2020 Archives
I've been reading that a lot of users have been having trouble installing Linux distros onto Apollo Lake laptops such as the Acer Spin 1. The solution actually comes down to the video drivers being loaded before X server.

1. All you need in your BIOs to be enabled is Boot Manager, it doesn't matter if you have Secure Boot or Network Boot enabled or disabled.
2. When you reach the live boot menu, press E on boot into live mode.
3. After "quiet splash" add "nomodeset" (without quotations) and then boot.

After you set nomodeset, your distrobution should install fine without any issues. You will not have to set nomodeset again once installed. I've tested this with Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Elementary OS, Manjaro and Arch.

For those wondering, nomodeset tells the kernel to load video drivers once the X server has started.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning o0slowpaul0o !

Excellent to have another member in the forum that is Linuxist!
    Another easy and viable solution!
    Generally I'm going to add rd.driver.blacklist = nouveau as parameters at kernel startup (grub).
    Great to have shared!
    Welcome to the forum!

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• o0slowpaul0o
    o0slowpaul0o Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2019
    I think the proper way is nouveau.modeset=0 lol.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    It works, too.
    That's the advantage of Linux distributions.
    Several different ways of reaching a common end.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• wobuffet
    wobuffet Member Posts: 1 New User

[...]
    Thank you, but I haven't managed to get it work. I have an Acer Spin 1 111-32N and over the web I see that there are issues installing linux because at the end of the installation grub fails to install, so no bootloader gets properly installed. I am trying to install Linux Mint 20, I added nomodeset before launching the live OS, but the results are the same, it fails the installation at the end.

I read that rEFInd has to be used, instead.