Can I install ubuntu in PREDATOR TRITON 500 ?

tahmidolee
tahmidolee Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I really like the acer PREDATOR TRITON 500 and want to by the model with RTX 2060 WITH 512 ssd.
However, I want to use ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04 as my operating system and create dual boot with windows os.
Have any one tried to install ubuntu in PREDATOR TRITON 500 or filed to install or faced issue while or after installing ubuntu ? 
I will be really helpful if someone share experience related to (PREDATOR TRITON 500 and (ubuntu or linux))

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night tahmidolee !

Have you tried the installation yourself?
    Are you knowledgeable in Linux distributions?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• tahmidolee

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good night tahmidolee !

Hi MaClane
    I haven't bought the PREDATOR TRITON 500, I am planning to buy.
    For your question, Yes I have some knowledge in Linux distributions, but not that deep knowledge in linux kernel level.
    Currently I am using ubuntu 18.04 on my Razer Blade 15 (2018) base model without any issue. 
    I asked this question because, in some other post I saw they ware having trouble installing Linux distributions on TRITON 700. 
    If it's really troublesome to install Linux distributions on PREDATOR TRITON 500, I will stop my self from buying this laptop. But if it's okay and quite straight forward to install Linux like other laptops (xps 15 or razer blade 15) I will buy PREDATOR TRITON 500 at once.
  • tahmidolee

Tinkerer

Hi, MaClane said:
    Good night tahmidolee !

Hi, I have bought the triton 500 today. and for ubuntu it's working okay. But I have another issue.
  • MaClane
    If you installed without problems on your laptop, I do not see any problems with Triton.
    Generally on the premises what happens has nothing to do with the device itself but probably that the nouveau GPU driver tries to start the video connection
    The opensource driver does not work correctly on some PGU models.
    If this is the case, just add rd.driver.blacklist = nouveau as parameters at kernel startup (grub).
    This option will ignore the driver and use iGPU.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• tahmidolee

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    If you installed without problems on your laptop, I do not see any problems with Triton.
    Generally on the premises what happens has nothing to do with the device itself but probably that the nouveau GPU driver tries to start the video connection
    The opensource driver does not work correctly on some PGU models.
    If this is the case, just add rd.driver.blacklist = nouveau as parameters at kernel startup (grub).
    This option will ignore the driver and use iGPU.

Hi @MaClane ,
    But there was only one problem, to install ubuntu i had to change the sata mode to ahci, then start the installation, I install the ubuntu 18.04.02, after installing it didn't recognise the nvidia dirver properly, I added the the latest ubuntu driver ppa, then I was able to install the nvidia 430 version driver.

One issue is, i tried to create dual boot, after installing ubuntu I was not able to boot into the windows and had a blue screen saying windows couldn't start, so I changed back the sata mode to "rst with optane", and windows can boot successfully, but ubuntu cannot, so now I have to change the bios setting each time I need to change os.

Another main issue is, the fan noise on both os. In windows even if the computer is doing nothing the gpu fan noise is very is and annoying, So for this part I don't know if only my unit has issue or this is a common feature of this laptop. Can someone help me with the fan noise issue. 

by the way, I didn't know about the solution you provide about the """"just add rd.driver.blacklist = nouveau as parameters at kernel startup (grub).
    This option will ignore the driver and use iGPU.""""

• MaClane
    Let's do it by steps...

The first thing you should do is upgrade your repositories and upgrade your system.
    If you changed the mode and did not install in sata then you will always have to change it in Bios for Windows to start.
    As for the cooler, does the high rotation occur only at the power outlet or on the battery as well?
    Is the sound high spin or "knocking"?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• caschbre
    caschbre Member Posts: 2 New User
    I recently purchased the Acer Predator Triton 500 and installed Ubuntu 18.04 in dual-boot mode along side windows.  So far ubuntu has worked great. The only issue I've had so far is that my external monitor does not wake when ubuntu wakes.  This isn't necessarily ubuntu specific though as it appears to be the specific monitor in combo with ubuntu.  The other thing you lose with ubuntu is some of the acer software that is windows specific. The laptop has acer software to help with boosting, etc. when you want more power/cooling for gaming.  
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    @caschbre you already have you answer here by @MaClane :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• frostnova
    frostnova Member Posts: 1 New User
    caschbre said:
    I recently purchased the Acer Predator Triton 500 and installed Ubuntu 18.04 in dual-boot mode along side windows.  So far ubuntu has worked great. The only issue I've had so far is that my external monitor does not wake when ubuntu wakes.  This isn't necessarily ubuntu specific though as it appears to be the specific monitor in combo with ubuntu.  The other thing you lose with ubuntu is some of the acer software that is windows specific. The laptop has acer software to help with boosting, etc. when you want more power/cooling for gaming.  
    @caschbre How have managed to do it? What is your SATA mode in BIOS?
    I have Predator Triton 500 with 2x512 SSD in RAID0 and I'm trying to install Ubuntu in dual-boot, but the Windows 10 was installed with SATA mode set to "RST Premium with Optane" in BIOS. Ubuntu installer (live boot) doesn't recognize the hard drive in RST mode. When I switch to AHCI, then Ubuntu sees the two drives, but Windows won't boot in this mode (there is "No bootable device" message during startup).

• tahmidolee

Tinkerer

frostnova said:
    caschbre said:
    @caschbre How have managed to do it? What is your SATA mode in BIOS?
    I have Predator Triton 500 with 2x512 SSD in RAID0 and I'm trying to install Ubuntu in dual-boot, but the Windows 10 was installed with SATA mode set to "RST Premium with Optane" in BIOS. Ubuntu installer (live boot) doesn't recognize the hard drive in RST mode. When I switch to AHCI, then Ubuntu sees the two drives, but Windows won't boot in this mode (there is "No bootable device" message during startup).

@frostnova, At first I shrink some space from my C drive to install ubuntu. then I change the SATA mode to AHCI and complete the ubuntu installation. Now every time I need to use windows I change the SATA mode bake to "RST Premium with Optane" and boot the windows. It's little troublesome to change but still okay for me if I can run ubuntu.

@caschbre, I install the Nvidia driver and my monitor works fine, I use a usb C type monitor and it can also connect the usb mouse and keyboard via monitor usb port.