Can Ubuntu 18.04/16.04 run on an Acer PREDATOR TRITON 500?

bewke
bewke Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am thinking about purchasing the Acer PREDATOR TRITON 500 notebook, with RTX 2060 GPU and a 512GB NVME SSD. However, I want to use Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04 as my OS and create dual boot with Windows. Has anyone tried to install Ubuntu on a PREDATOR TRITON 500 and failed to do so or faced issues while or after installing Ubuntu? I would appreciate if someone could share experience related to this (PREDATOR TRITON 500 /w Ubuntu 18/16).

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night bewke  !

Have you tried the installation yourself?
    Are you knowledgeable in Linux distributions?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• tahmidolee
    tahmidolee Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    It should be small beer to find it out by setting up a life distribution (USB install media with Ubuntu for e.g.) und let it boot to see if hardware is supported.
  • MaClane
    beststevie disse:
    It should be small beer to find it out by setting up a life distribution (USB install media with Ubuntu for e.g.) und let it boot to see if hardware is supported.
    Wrong.
    There is no issue of hardware support, but compatibility and knowledge to be able to fix and fix any errors.
    Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• caschbre
    caschbre Member Posts: 2 New User
    I recently purchased the Acer Predator Triton 500 and installed Ubuntu 18.04 in dual-boot mode along side windows.  So far ubuntu has worked great. The only issue I've had so far is that my external monitor does not wake when ubuntu wakes.  This isn't necessarily ubuntu specific though as it appears to be the specific monitor in combo with ubuntu.  The other thing you lose with ubuntu is some of the acer software that is windows specific. The laptop has acer software to help with boosting, etc. when you want more power/cooling for gaming. 
  • MaClane
    The question of the external monitor is due to the graphical manager configuration of Ubuntu.
    I use both HDMi and VGA on my laptop without any problem.
    The issue of Acer Care and Sense, there really is no support for Linux systems.
    In this case, the configuration must be done manually.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• ciobanucos
    ciobanucos Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
    Guys, can someone help me install Ubuntu - no dual boot on my Triton 700? I do not have unlocked bios, so it's impossible to play with the bios settings.
    Ubuntu flash usb does not see the drives to install, only the USB
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    ciobanucos you dont need unlocked bios to install linux you only need to set a supervisor password and secure boot disabled then reset the pass and boot from usb there are already many threads around on how to proper install linux just give it a search you will find it :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• MaClane
    As informed friend xapim, there is absolutely no option in unlocking Bios.
    Only the appropriate settings.
    Together, enable BootMenu F12 to gain access at boot.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™