Does my Acer laptop support this kind of M.2 SSD?

Soft_revolution
Soft_revolution Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've already bought a new M.2 SSD

Kingston A400 SSD Internal Solid State Drive M.2 2280 240GB Hard Disk SSD For laptop
and I assembled it into my Acer Aspire laptop whose model: E5-576G-ET

The laptop has become extremely slow after assembling even while opening BIOS. Also, The SSD is reading in BIOS as PS3111 in the HDD1 model name.

I tried several things and nothing changed:
1- I removed the main HDD.
2- I changed the boot options in the BIOS settings from UEFI to legacy and vice versa.
3- SATA configuration for the port 0 and 1 are enabled and I changed the port 1 to disabled and found the laptop worked as usual not extremely slow.

I don't have other devices to try this SSD on it.
I don't know if my laptop supports this kind of SSD or not?

These are some photos of what I got

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Harvey]

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good Morning Soft_revolution !

This model supports SSD with M.2 slot 2280 Sata and NVMe.
    Is the SSD in GPT format?
    Did you check if there is any firmware for this model?
    Are the drivers properly updated?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,558 Pathfinder
    Hi.

It would be compatible, check the type of (depends on the chip set of the MB), it is deicr Controller SATA AHCI.

Go gadget of devices and leave us the IDE Controller ATA / ATAPI, that appears.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • Soft_revolution

Tinkerer

Hello MaClane,

Thank you for sending me back

I couldn't even read my SSD in boot list or in windows computer management. so, I can't handle with the SSD and do operations like format, convert from GPT to MBR or vice versa or update the firmware.
    What is only appearing in the BIOS information that HDD1 model Name: PS3111
    and that is not normal because I connect Kingstone A400 and also there is no serial number as you have already seen in the picture I sent.

My drivers are up to date. 

The laptop handles with the SSD like a strange device and can't recognize it well so it works so slow in booting and opening windows.

Also, I don't have another laptop that supports SSD M.2 here, in which I could test the device. 
  • MaClane
    Ideally you could test on another device.
    Try to install a clean version of Windows on it, in UEFi mode converted to GPT for testing.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Soft_revolution

Tinkerer

Hello, Ivan

Thank you for message

This is the IDE Controller ATA / ATAPI

• Soft_revolution

Tinkerer

Hi MaClane,

The trouble that I don't have a laptop has M.2 socket here.

Theoretically, everything in both The Kingston M.2 SSD A400 2280 and the laptop should be compatible, but I don't know why the laptop
    recognizes it like that
    HDD1 Model Name: PS3111 ---------> This is the controller, not the model name
    and no serial number for it
    Which slows down the laptop booting

I couldn't read it in BIOS or in Windows 10.
    I disassembled the main HDD and tried to install windows by a flash drive on the SSD but I couldn't find the SSD in the boot list or in the drives appear in the installing process.

• MaClane
    To use SSD this way in the installation, the system must be in UEFi and the SSD converted to GPT.
    In addition, in Bios SecureBoot must be disabled.
    If it still does not work, turn on the BootMode function that the F12 uses when you boot the device.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Soft_revolution

Tinkerer

I tried both UEFI and legacy mode before but there is no change.

I can't read my SSD in the boot list in BIOS or by using F12, so I can't read it in windows and also can't convert it to GPT or MBR
  • MaClane
    Most likely this is because you do not have Intel Rapid Storage Technology (iRST) installed or are outdated
    Download iRST from Intel's website and install:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Soft_revolution

Tinkerer

I enabled the port 1 where the SSD from SATA configuration in BIOS. The laptop is extremely slow in booting now.
    I uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology and reinstalled the new version that you sent me.
    Really, Nothing changed.

I will show you in these photos

I can't change the secure boot value because it is deactivated 

I used the boot manager before and after installing intel rapid storage tech and only the HDD appears

I installed the last version of intel rapid storage tech here

After enabling the SATA port 1

Here, the computer management and there is no any disks for SSD.