Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51-55WL - Lines on screen, possible hardware issue

Answers

• Thw0rted
    Thw0rted Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Got it up by prying away gently with the spudger. Sadly, didn't make any difference. I guess now I'll take it to the local repair shop and maybe they can figure out if a simple display replacement does the job or if it's a bad inverter, like you said.
  • Ok! Post the result here.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Thw0rted
    I happened to be near the shop yesterday and stopped in to talk to him.  I didn't have the system on me but I did show him the pictures I took.  Before I even said anything he told me it's the display.  I said that here on the forum they'd suggested it could also be the the inverter or the cable / connector, but he said if I brought it in the panel is the first thing he'd try.  Since I've already had the panel out without issues, I'm probably going to look for a panel online and try swapping it.  I'm not sure how exact the match has to be -- I found a few like

https://www.amazon.de/laptiptop-Display-1920x1080-N156HGE-EA1-REV-C2/dp/B079YQWBX6

https://www.amazon.de/laptiptop-Display-1920x1080-N156HGE-EA2-REV-C2/dp/B079YVG3T1

https://www.amazon.de/Laptiptop-LTN156HR01-002-Display-1920x1080-Bildschirm/dp/B07M9BFV83

I also saw a Youtube video that says this can work, but I'm not sure my kid will care about the improved framerates:

https://www.amazon.de/Laptiptop-Display-N156HHE-GA1-1920x1080-Bildschirm/dp/B07M9CBVVV
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Thw0rted
    edited September 2019
    My last link is also 120Hz, but it's N156-HHE-GA1, not N156-HCE-GA2.  I can't find detailed-enough spec sheets to understand the difference.  You searched for B156HAN04.5, is that the exact OEM part I should expect to have already?  (I didn't think to take a pic when I had the display out last time...)

In that same search, there was a link to

https://www.amazon.de/Laptiptop-Display-N156HHE-GA1-1920x1080-Bildschirm/dp/B07M9CBVVV

which is says it's for B156HAN04.5 but from the same seller as my previous links. They offer Prime shipping so I could send it back for free if it doesn't fix the issue.

Also: would any/all of the 60Hz models I linked work?  It's for an 11yo and I don't think she's going to notice or care if she's getting above-60Hz visuals; she's more likely to want the 40-50 EUR in her pocket.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Thw0rted
    edited September 2019
    That site is amazing, I only understand about half the specs but it's really helpful.  Does that mean that `B156HAN06.1 HW1A` is the original model that's in the system now, and `B156HAN04.5` is your suggestion for a 120Hz upgrade?  Or does the system ship with more than one type of panel?

I guess my most important question is, exactly what am I looking for to be sure a panel is compatible? If the active area is the same size (so it physically fits the housing) and it's a 2-lane 30-pin 3.3v eDP connector on the correct side (one of those Predator videos above showed it on the opposite side), is that good enough?  Or are there specific "whitelisted" models that I need to pick from?  (If so, where's the whitelist?)

I looked up the first two Amazon links (
    N156HGE-EA1/2) and they sound much worse -- terrible viewing angles and only 500:1 contrast.  I want to find something that I can easily return if it doesn't work out, but beyond that my priorities are probably going to be viewing angles, contrast, and brightness, then maybe color gamut as a secondary concern.  For my daughter, refresh rate and response time aren't as important.

ETA: I just noticed that the AUO panels are AHVA while the Innolux ones are TN, presumably that's why the viewing angles are so much better.  As I understand it, the AHVA is about "as good" as IPS?
  • Thw0rted
    edited September 2019
    Another note: I found a German company that says they're an official parts supplier for Acer, and while they don't carry my exact sub-model (51-55WL), the only eDP cable they list says that it's 40-pin.  All the panels I've been looking at say they're 30-pin.  I'd like to avoid trying to replace the cable (and I don't know how many pins the motherboard supports? I guess?) so is there an easy way to tell which one I have already?  You said in this other thread that there weren't 120Hz panels that run on a 30-pin connector, but that was back in July.  Was the B156HAN04.5 not available then, or is there another factor I don't understand?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    >>>I found a German company that says they're an official parts supplier for Acer, and while they don't carry my exact sub-model (51-55WL), the only eDP cable they list says that it's 40-pin.>>>

That confirms what I've found for this and a few other gaming models. Since you have to pull the thing apart to even get at the cable let alone the screen, you might as well bite the bullet and confirm what you have is the 40 pin connector. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Thw0rted
    Literally 2 minutes before I read this post I placed an order for the B156HAN04.5 , but it's Prime shipping so I can always send it back if I'm wrong.  It's encouraging that `laptopscreen.com` lists a part for my exact model number (the 55WL variant) with a 30-pin connector.  I've seen photos of 30- and 40-pin sockets and I'm *pretty* sure the 30-pin matches what I saw yesterday.
  • JackE
    I'll keep my fingers crossed it works out for you.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• I believe the nitros 5 models don't come with the 40 pin cable. Check out my monitor model with the an515-51-75kz model:

This way you can check if your notebook has 30 pins or 40 pins.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Checking the acer dashboard on the replacement panel indicates that the an515-51-55WL model (NH.Q2QAA.016) may have come with any of these monitors:

And both are 30 pins. But I suggest you check using my previous tip.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    You may be correct. The specsheet lists this other part no. 50.Q28N2.008 as a 30-pin. Maybe it can somehow use both configurations? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• @JackE This "LED TOUCH 15.6W FHD NONE GLARE LCD LED AUO B156HAN06.1 LF 250NIT 25MS 700: 1 (EDP, IPS LIKE, 3.2MM MAX, VALUE)" informs that it is a touch screen. Does any an515-51 model have a touch screen?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Yes, it's listed as an optional on-cell touch display . Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Thw0rted
    The hardware ID is BOE06C6, which is almost identical to the BOE NV156FHM-N42 on panelook, which says "BOE06B5". That NV model number matches up with the only references to "BOE06C6" so maybe it's just a revision of the same panel? Anyway, it's 30 pin, so I'm probably ok.
  • JackE said:
    You may be correct. The specsheet lists this other part no. 50.Q28N2.008 as a 30-pin. Maybe it can somehow use both configurations? Jack E/NJ

I'm not sure because every model an515-51 I've ever checked has thirty pins.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Thw0rted said:
    The hardware ID is BOE06C6, which is almost identical to the BOE NV156FHM-N42 on panelook, which says "BOE06B5". That NV model number matches up with the only references to "BOE06C6" so maybe it's just a revision of the same panel? Anyway, it's 30 pin, so I'm probably ok.
    Yes! It is the same model but with the different motherboard revision.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Thw0rted
    Well, there's good news and a little bad.  The good news is that the replacement panel showed up yesterday.  It was a perfect fit, the 30-pin connector was correct, as expected, and it did resolve the issue -- the lines must have been from some kind of intermittent fault in the display.

The bad news is that I ordered a B156HAN04.5 (AHVA, 800:1 contrast) panel but the Amazon seller sent me a N156HHE-GA1 (TN, 500:1 contrast).  The colors look a lot more washed out and the vertical viewing angles are poor, with the colors changing a lot when you tilt the lid back.  I contacted them, we'll see if they can get an IPS-family part for me.