"No Bootable Device" - Acer Nitro 5

marsfromsaturn
marsfromsaturn Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi, I bought an Acer Nitro 5 brand new last December.

It worked fine until about a week ago.

It began freezing on occasion, (only 3 times), causing me to have to restart it. (Oddly, Spotify continued to play)

A couple of days ago, after freezing, it refused to boot. It comes up with the error "No Bootable Device".

I have googled around and tried some things but nothing has worked. The BIOS shows that the device is being detected, but when I try entering the Boot Menu (F12), there is nothing I can change. I can't change the boot order or anything because there is no selection available. I have tried removing & re-attaching the HDD several times to no avail.

All and any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mars

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Shut the machine off and remove the charger. Look for a pinhole on the bottom of the machine with a battery symbol. Gently insert a paper clip into the hole for 10 seconds. Then let the machine rest for about 15 mins. Then replace the charger and try to turn it back on. If still no joy or no pinhole the shut the laptop completely off again. Then turn it back on and immediately press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below. Follow direction to refresh the system while trying to save your personal files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisD85
    ChrisD85 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I could have written the op comment above. Bought my son a Nitro 5 last Christmas and has the “no bootable device” message. 

No no option for boot order.

Tried the paper clip in the pinhole and it didn’t work. 

Immediately held the alt key while pressing f10 and no recovery screen. 

Any other options?

Thanks

• ScaryDavy
    ScaryDavy Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi marsfromsaturn, another solution you can try is to take out and reinstall the ram panel on the back of the computer. There's a pad on the panel which depresses down on a switch on the motherboard. If the pad doesn't push down on the switch hard enough, the computer will not boot. Make sure to screw in the panel tightly to ensure there is adequate pressure down on the switch. 
  • LadyZubat
    LadyZubat Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the exact same problem and I've tied using these tips but it's not working.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    LadyZubat said:
    I'm having the exact same problem and I've tied using these tips but it's not working.

Please start a new topic for your question, thank you

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Xavier99999
    Xavier99999 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm getting same problem too. I reinstalled Win10 but still does it. I'll try reseating hardware as described above.
  • LuckyGenie
    LuckyGenie Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited December 2020
    I found a solution to the problem, I tried all these tips in here but it didnt seem to do it. Well I found a working solution.
    (It worked immediately for me)
    Turns out to be very simple
    Step 1. Open Bios Menu
    Step 2. Go to ''Exit''
    Step 3. Select ''Load Setup Defaults''
    Press Enter/Yes
    Step 4. ''Exit Saving Changes''

I hope it worked for you, please give me a thumbs up to let me know if it worked :)
  • Daytona
    Daytona Member Posts: 1 New User
    I found a solution to the problem, I tried all these tips in here but it didnt seem to do it. Well I found a working solution.
    (It worked immediately for me)
    Turns out to be very simple
    Step 1. Open Bios Menu
    Step 2. Go to ''Exit''
    Step 3. Select ''Load Setup Defaults''
    Press Enter/Yes
    Step 4. ''Exit Saving Changes''

I hope it worked for you, please give me a thumbs up to let me know if it worked :)
    Didn’t work for me, did exactly as said.
  • Mmmrhen
    Mmmrhen Member Posts: 2 New User

Anyone can help me.

Thanks
  • Mmmrhen
    Mmmrhen Member Posts: 2 New User
    I try this tips. By it all goes Black Screen.  What should I Do? 
  • macron0
    macron0 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    hi. ihave 5the same problem i did not change anything.  i see my m.2 drdrivre show up at the info tab and the sata driveto. dhh0/dhh3 just nothing in the bootr oder part.  i reakky do not want to reinstall all my programs an rtheir settings windows from scratch. since i popped a vein in my head last summer and everything0ii very confusing now for m very hard to trype for me. it worked for the last 6 monrthns and worked fine n the hospital  the last 3 months an suddenly itstopped booting. i did reset bios to factory defaults an reseatedram and all drives,

matybe ols chool way boot from usb stick  an set partiotions active??? could that work?

pls help me acer. i rrealy need my laotop now.

excuse my typing pls.  thank you.

• samiam3
    samiam3 Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Same issue. F2 to BIOS and "restore defaults" did not work. Battery pull did not work. No pinhole to reset. Removing and replacing RAM did not work. No bootable device means it will not work to get to recovery screen, so that is out. Product had mother board fixed June 2021 so should be in warranty, but bought Jan 2021 means out of warranty now, so cannot get help from Acer ... bad service.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

This thread is almost 3 years. For better response for this users forum, please post your own new thread by clicking on the green ask a question button.

Jack E/NJ

• samiam3
    samiam3 Member Posts: 37 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Sure. I try to keep topics together but you are probably right it will get more traction in a new thread