Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

M.2 Slot Confusion Helios 500 ( PH517-61-ROGX) Ryzen

psychfilmspsychfilms Posts: 8Member

Tinkerer

Subject Laptop: Acer Predator Helios 500 (Model:RYZEN PH517-61-ROGX)  Bios V1.06
(refer to attached graphic below for this issue)

There seems to be a difference on ACER's website regarding the published info on the two M.2 slots for the Helios 500 RYZEN  and what is actually on the motherboard.
WHAT I OBSERVED:  Both slots (1 & 2) are physically configured with a right-side notch typical for PCIe NVMe SSD's.  ACER says Slot #2 is M.2 SATA only. What I learned is that the OEM M.2 SSD on Slot #2 is a PCIe SSD.  Correspondingly, Slot #1 does not work with a 2TB PCIe NVMe SSD I tried to install, but is physically configured for it (right-side notch).

The OEM-installed 256GB SSD in slot #2 contains Win 10 OS.  Upon inspection, this factory-supplied SSD in Slot #2 is in fact a PCIe SSD, not the SATA SSD specified for that slot on the website - See attached photo-illustration.  I had purchased an Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 3D NAND that I originally intended to use as storage in Slot #1; however, the computer would not boot into Windows with the 2TB SSD in Slot #1.  After posting the problem on this forum, a user suggested cloning the Windows OS from Slot #2 SSD onto the 2TB and just replacing it in Slot #2 to boost my storage capacity from the original 256GB SSD.  I was able to successfully clone the OEM-supplied 256GB boot SSD in Slot #2 to the mentioned 2TB SSD in an external enclosure. Tthen I remove it from the enclosure and replaced the OEM-supplied SSD in Slot 2.  The computer operates with no issues with the Intel SSD.

I'm just confused as to why the ACER website says Slot #2 is "SATA only" when I'm NOW operating the computer with the Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 3D NAND ?!
And what's up with Slot #1 not working with PCIe NVMe?

Bart

FAQ & Answers

• xapimxapim Posts: 1,373Member Mainframe Wrangler
    edited May 7
    @psychfilms so basically its the other way around the slot 1 its sata only the slot 2 its nvme :) and yes that original 256gb ssd seems to be sata PC400M280S its sata only not nvme
    Yup definitely sata only https://www.ebay.com/p/SK-Hynix-256gb-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-Hfs256gd9mne-6200a/663055103

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969145569968592/
    https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• psychfilmspsychfilms Posts: 8Member

Tinkerer

Below is a conversation I have with ACER Support regarding confusion on the two M.2 slots:

ACER M.2 Slot Issue

ME: There seems to be a difference between your website published info on the two M.2 slots for my ACER Predator Helios 500 (RYZEN 2700 model) and what is actually on the motherboard.  Slot #2 has installed your OEM-installed 256GB SSD that contains Win 10 OS.  Upon inspection, the factory-supplied SSD in Slot #2 is in fact a PCIe SSD, not the SATA SSD described on your website.  I was able to clone the SSD in Slot #2 to a 2TB NVME PCIe 3 x4 SSD successfully and insert into Slot 2.  The computer operates with no issues.   Both slots (1 & 2) are physically configured with a right-side notch for PCIe NVMe SSD's.  However, when I first purchased the 2TB NVME PCIe 3 x4 SSD mentioned above, my original intent was to use it as extra storage in Slot #1 but the computer would not boot into Windows with the 2TB SSD in Slot #1.

So What I learned is Slot #2 works with PCIe NVMe and Slot #1 does not work with PCIe NVMe but is physically configured for it.  Can you clarify what I am experiencing?

ACER RESPONSE: I have reached out to our service technicians regarding this issue. The information on Acer’s website was NOT correct. The service guide confirms that the left slot (slot 2) supports PCI/SATA and right slot (slot 1) only SATA. This information is being sent to Acer so that they can update posted specifications on their site. I apologize for any confusion that this misinformation has caused.

ME: Doesn't a M.2 SATA SSD have a different configuration slot with a notch on BOTH sides of the circuit-board?   The both female M.2 slots in the AMD Motherboard in the Helios 500 have only a notch on the right-side suggesting both motherboard slots are PCIexpress NVME slots (Ironically, this is what your website shows for the Intel version of the Helios 500.

ACER RESPONSE: For Acer units, there is no 'mechanical difference' on the M.2 connector slot for PCIe or SATA.

NOTE: This last response does not make sense. According to a Google search: "M.2 supports both SATA and PCIe storage interface options, while mSATA is SATA only. Physically, they look different and cannot be plugged into the same system connectors"

However, on Kingston's website an FAQ seems to support ACER's response: "An M.2 SSD can only support one protocol, but some systems have M.2 sockets that can support either SATA or PCIe."