video card issue - Aspire TC-885

depotdevil
depotdevil Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Have a Acer TC-885-ACCFLi30 Aspire TC-885
I have had to instal a ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCI-e X16 DMS video card.
But I need to get the system to allow me to select the boot options (f12). *I need this for work so I can boot in a external desktop through a flash drive.
When I plug into the onboard HDMI or on board VGA I get the ACER boot screen and can hit f12 or del. 
BUT when I insert the video card I don't get anything until the windows log in screen pops.
I have loaded the with the HDMI and selected the DEL to load bios then inserted video card and poof blank screens.
I am not sure how to get the bios to load the new video card instead of internal graphics so I can select the f12. 
When I look at boot sequence I don't see the new video card as I can't plug it in, if I do screen goes blank.
please help.

//Edited the content to add model name on title.​​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,780 Trailblazer
    Is the disable onboard VGA option greyed out with nothing in the VGA slot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• depotdevil

Tinkerer

No and it doesn't let me scroll down to change it.
    Plus enabling the Intel AES-NI doesn't do anything.
  • depotdevil

Tinkerer

Also. 
    To update. 
    if video Card plugged in. 
    -Vga cord plugged to on board, or HDMI plugged in 
    Blank screen till windows login. Do not see boot menu options, nothing till windows.
    IF video Card OUT. 
    -Vga cord plugged to on board or hdmi plugged in.
    Get Boot menu option. Can see ACER boot up sequence. 
  • JackE
    I've had to issue with another Radeon add-in. My work-around was, before installing the card, to put the bootable USB first in the UEFI boot order so I didn't have to use F12. So it booted directly from the bootable stick. And booted normally with no stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• depotdevil

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I've had to issue with another Radeon add-in. My work-around was, before installing the card, to put the bootable USB first in the UEFI boot order so I didn't have to use F12. So it booted directly from the bootable stick. And booted normally with no stick. Jack E/NJ
    Ok I love that idea. 
    Do you happen to have the steps for switching that around? that would make it possibly easier for me.
    doing things in the dark (selecting f12, switching to usb desktop) is annoying to say the least. 
    the second the usb drive starts to load my add-in video card starts up and I can see loading scripts. 
    But I am not that versed in bios to remember where to swap those around.
    Thank you
  • JackE
    Go to the BIOS Boot tab. It should look something like the image below. You want to re-arrange the Boot Priority Order so that the
    (a) 1st Boot Device is the Removable Device(USB stick)
    (b) 2nd Boot Device is the Hard Disk Drive.

The rest doesn't matter. You can put Windows Boot Manager (the F12 thing) on the bottom if you want. You click on the HDD priority, ODD priority, removable device priority, etc option to re-arrange things. May be a little clumsy to work thru the priority order but you should be OK.

So with this re-arrangement, if a USB bootstick is inserted, it will boot from the stick since it's 1st in the priority order. If the USB slot is empty or has an unbootable stick, it will then automatically move down to the 2nd boot device in the boot order, the HDD. And so forth and so on.

You may have to first set and save a BIOS menu password, then re-enter the BIOS with the password in order to disable secure boot and rearrange things. Don't forget the password!

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• depotdevil

Tinkerer

I switched it to removable device. but still only beeps then loads windows normally. not my USB.
    Maybe missing the right one in bios? 
  • JackE
    Did you enter the BIOS menu with a password to disable secure boot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• depotdevil

Tinkerer

A UPDATE. I have been working through the blank screen at the boot menu fine to go to either work desktop (usb) or direct to normal desktop. 
    And have been using the secondary ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCI-e X16 DMS video card without any issues.
    BUT... this latest major windows update has removed the 
    ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCI-e X16 DMS video card. 
    Completely. 
    I have searched on Acer, and ati and can't find the drivers for the video card. 
    If i boot into the usb it seems to find it. Just not the Windows system.

• JackE
    Can you still get into ControlPanel's restore point app from the normal desktop? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• depotdevil

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Can you still get into ControlPanel's restore point app from the normal desktop? Jack E/NJ
    yes. If I unplug the video card and power up. I can get to anything on normal deskto.
    Should I restore before the major required update? 
  • JackE
    Absolutely! The troublesome update can be blocked from reinstalling until it's fixed using Microsoft's show/hide update tool.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ